Movies Subtitles or Dub?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by AteoFou, Aug 18, 2007.

1. AteoFou

AteoFou Guest

Personally, I cannot stand dub, so it is subtitles all the way for me.

I just flipped on House of Flying Daggers on TV and it was dubbed. I nearly had to rip my ears off, so needless to say, I had to find something else to watch. :laugh:

2. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

For movies, I like having subtitles, but for anime and such, I'd rather have dubs. I guess it's because the off sync lip movements aren't as bad in cartoons as they are in movies.

3. AteoFou

AteoFou Guest

I can agree with that oxyMORON. I can deal with dubs for cartoons, but even then I would probably like subtitles. Then again, if I didn't know the cartoon was supposed to be in a foreign language, I probably wouldn't complain, haha.

4. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

I prefer dubbing over sub-titles. I don't like to work that hard while I'm watching a movie!

Hoosier.

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I agree with Hoosier, I prefer dub then Sub-Titles, sometimes the dubbing is really bad, but it's better then reading sub-titles during the whole movie. I especially hate when sub-titles are really fast, and you don't get the chance to finish reading everything, then your lost.

6. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

I'm impartial. |:

Anime has me used to both forms

7. AteoFou

AteoFou Guest

I can't tell if you are joking with "working hard". Do you really think reading is "working hard"? Of all the foreign films I've seen dubbed and subbed (lol), I couldn't stand a single one being dubbed.
    My uncle wouldn't watch Pan's Labyrinth because he said it was "too much work" and now he is missing out on a film of the year.

8. Hoosier_Daddy

It's hard at times to convey sarcasm over the Internet. I am serious though that I prefer dubbing of a film over sub-titles. I find the text distracting.

Hoosier.

9. AteoFou

AteoFou Guest

I can accept "distracting" as a valid reason, although I disagree, but "working hard" I coudln't deal with, haha.

Hoosier, if there's a foreign film without dub, would you still see it?

10. Hoosier_Daddy

Sure I would. It isn't that I'm a snob or stubborn. I just prefer dubbing. That's doesn't preclude me from viewing a sub-titled film. Pans Labyrinth and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon are just two examples of films I love that were sub-titled.

Hoosier.