• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Subliminal MEssages

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
How do you feel about subliminal messages in music? What do you feel about the messages, do they make you think differently about the musicians once you figure them out?

Take Led Zeppelin for example

YouTube - stairway to heaven backwards

Pretty weird stuff. And while not all of it is completely coherent, you can hear the message without seeing the lyrics, and that scares the piss out of me if I am honest. I mean its a well known fact that Jimi Page was into black magic, and for me this speaks to me of the group as a whole. Of course I was doped when I first heard this but never mind (don't fucking do that, I mean it).

Does it matter? No, but its a fun thing to think about.

Impact

V.I.P.
You know. I listen to that without looking at the lyrics. Complete gibberish, apart from one or two words, which would probably stand out if any song was played backwards. Then I listened to it while reading the lyrics and I could hear how a lot of it could possibly be the lyrics on the page, but then there were a couple that didn't sound like that word at all. Has this actually ever been proven, or admitted, or is it just a bs theory?

Also, I can just imagine back in the day, a crazy dude sitting in his mothers basement wearing a tinfoil hat listening to all his records backwards and trying to find subliminal messages.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
You know. I listen to that without looking at the lyrics. Complete gibberish, apart from one or two words, which would probably stand out if any song was played backwards. Then I listened to it while reading the lyrics and I could hear how a lot of it could possibly be the lyrics on the page, but then there were a couple that didn't sound like that word at all. Has this actually ever been proven, or admitted, or is it just a bs theory?

Also, I can just imagine back in the day, a crazy dude sitting in his mothers basement wearing a tinfoil hat listening to all his records backwards and trying to find subliminal messages.
I was talking to a dude who (claimed) that he played this to both Robert Plant and Jimmy Page who only laughed at it, no comment given. Robert Plant has commented elsewhere that any subliminal messages you might here are complete nonsense.

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
I think this subliminal messages in audio is complete bullshit. If I can't clearly hear something when I'm consciously listening to it, I doubt my subconscious will. It would have made perfect sense if they were talking about audio steganography or some kind of easter egg.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I think it's all coincidence, like Dark Side of the Moon's legendary alignment with The Wizard of Oz. Deliberately placed or not, in any case, backwards messages are not interpreted by the human brain in music played forwards and are therefore not subliminal. Never mind that subliminal suggestion therapy was proven to have zero efficacy in clinical trials.

The only instance I can think of where someone actually tried to put an evil backwards message in a song came during a live taping by Black Oak Arkansas, when frontman Jim Dandy shouted, "Natas! Natas!" into the mic. He may have been too high to realize that when reversed, this provocative demonic salute would only come out as, "Satin, satin..." :lol:

Duckbang

Registered Member
It's all nonsense.

Listen to any song backwards, your brain is programmed too pick up any discernible paterns in any sound. Having the "words" spelled out for you exaggerates this process. Listen to it without the text (presuming you aren' already anticipating certain words) and the best oyu can "make out" are 2 words.

Not to mention that we aren't really capable of listening and understanding backwards speech.

Also, don't you think the actual clear words of the actual song, that become ingrained in our minds and we can recall whenever we hear any of the song has far more of an impact than any backwards message?

It can be used, but moreof a gimmick to get impressionable, easily impressed teens into "dark" music.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Subliminal messages in backwards songs is just nonsense. How can you possibly record a song normally, while making sure there are coherent and complete sentences when played backwards? :shake:

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
Subliminal messages in backwards songs is just nonsense. How can you possibly record a song normally, while making sure there are coherent and complete sentences when played backwards? :shake:
There's no problem with the technical aspect of doing;it's called backmasking. It's the effect that it claims to have that is ridiculous.

Last edited: