• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

sub or dub?

what would you prefer, subs or dubs?

• subs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • dubs

• huh??

• doesn't matter.. they're all the same

• Total voters
L

Laharl ex

I go either way, depends on quality. Simple as that.

M

Milk

I agree with Laharl Ex. (It's Vukasin by the way)

Although overall I think dubs are very well made almost at all times, I don't mind subs.

D

Destined Sayuri

I'd have to go with subs.... Lately i've been watching anime for free on a site on the internet some shows can be seen with both subs or dubs. Sometimes when i'm tired I like english better because I don't have to read :p but for the most part it's subs.

Naruto in english sounds terrible... especially when he says "Believe it!"

L

lilbballfrk

lol, in the english version, Naruto excalims "believe it!" every 5 minutes. he sounds like he has constapation.

B

Brigid

I really don't have a preference. I mean, I like hearing the original voices, but sometimes it's easier to tell who's talking to whom when you're listening to a dub. Also, I've run into some really bad subs. Granted, most were fan subs done buy people who had little to no grasp of spelling and sentence structure, but a few were supposidely proffessionally done. (Take the Hong Kong sub of YuYu Hakusho for an example.)

Dubs can be really bad, too. Tokyo MewMew turned into MewMew Power with some cut rate awful editing in parts is the first one that comes to mind. (4Kids really likes to throw out boners.) And yet sometimes they can actually turn out better than the original. Personal opinion here. I **much** prefer John Burgmeier as Kurama to Ogata-san. Not that I have anything against her, mind. She has a great singing voice and I love the theme songs she did for him. But I really think she was the wrong choice to voice him. (Kurama sounds like a 12-year-old in the original! The guy's supposed to be sixteen!)

It really all depends.

Vegito728

Registered Member
I do believe that people watch the sub then the dub well that's what I do. Because I want to see it the way it was meant to be then I watch it dub.

S

scriver058

I watch dubs. If I wanna read, i'll get a manga. Most dubs are right on par with subs and actually some dubs surpass subs (Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Rurouni Kenshin).

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
barfootboards said:
sub > dub, end of story ... seriously, if i find someone post they like dub more, i bet you they havent watched sub
Ive seen both I prefer Dubbed anime. Its easier to listen the anime in the vernacular language and reading subs can be tedious sometimes u can miss the action.

However i have watched subbed animes. I think about...5 or 6 series ive seen subbed. Alot of the times its because the anime has yet to be liscensed and their fansubs. Though the anime has to be really good or intriguing for me to dled a sub of it. Sometimes though i have watched animes that were dubbed but i dled a subbed only file by accident no big.

Also the quality in the fansub is important thusfar i think Lunar is by far one of the bests. Typos in the script or the script draggin to long or too short. And the quality of the image is alos important.I look for those things also its hard to measure accuracy of translate but usually ill dled multiple subbs of a series from different groups and watch the first episode by each of them to gauge which one i will continue to dl.

There really are alot of poor fansub groups out there (Dattebayo) they may have their releases timely but in comparison with others its poor quality. Then again they are doing it for free.

In conclusion ill take a dub over a sub all the time; only reason i would watch the sub is if the anime was intriguing enough to catch my view (Bleach, Shuffle! FMP TSR, Samurai Champloo, Gundam Seed Destiny).

N

Nestor

I went through my collection of DVDs and watched them in english with subs. compared them. Subs are equally accurate (or in cases of synonymous verbage, like "multicolored" and "many colored" moreso) so by and large, the only complaint that I'd have is the voice acting sometimes seems stilted and less natural than the japanese counterpart.

B

Brigid

Yeah. That's just the thing. Unless it's a fan sub then the subbing is done buy the same people who did the dub, and so it's likely that the sub will be very similar.

And if it's a fan sub of something that's already been released in the USA, then it's illegal to download it. Thus the which-is-better argument is moot for all practical intents and purposes.