• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Style vs. Source

Malificus

Likes snow
What defines what an anime is? The style of the animation, or the source of the animation?

A

acidmix

Probably a good combination of both. The Source usually has alot to do with popularity. People are usually more inclined to watch anime sometimes if its made by Bones, Production I.G., Clamp, and Studio Ghibi versus the other lesser known production studios.

Malificus

Likes snow
I was thinking more along the lines of "is american anime real anime", and "are all japanese cartoons anime." Not, "does Gainax or Clamp define the style of anime?"

L

Laharl ex

Anime is Japanese cartoons, some people also include Japanese animation in general, but I don't. Do you consider Final Fantasy: Advent Children to be anime? If so, then you included "in general." Has to be Japanese first.

L

lilbballfrk

Malificus said:
I was thinking more along the lines of "is american anime real anime", and "are all japanese cartoons anime." Not, "does Gainax or Clamp define the style of anime?"
i wouldnt count american anime real anime. anime comes from japan and american anime would be cartoons.

L

Laharl ex

Are you saying anime isn't cartoons? Please explain.

B

Blitz

I think it has to be Japanese to be considered Anime, I am not sure though.

L

lilbballfrk

Laharl ex said:
Are you saying anime isn't cartoons? Please explain.
anime is cartoon but it has the japenese touch. V.V well thats what i think

Malificus

Likes snow
Most of the people I've talked to based their opinion on the fact that they don't consider american anime to be as good though. So there's another point, even if american anime isn't anime, it can still be just as good or better. So should it be discriminated against as a medium? Also, do people discriminate against shows like Megas XLR, Avatar, Teen Titans, etc. purely based on the fact that they're cartoons, and nt anime? Most people I talk to seem to think american cartoons (Specifically the anime style ones) seem to consider it inferior to anime. I disagree, and apreciate American anime as much as regular anime, but still dislike a show if it's terrible of course (I do like shows like Megas XLR, Samurai Jack, and Avatar)

A

acidmix

Malificus said:
Also, do people discriminate against shows like Megas XLR, Avatar, Teen Titans, etc. purely based on the fact that they're cartoons, and nt anime? (I do like shows like Megas XLR, Samurai Jack, and Avatar)
Whats Avatar like? What genre would you put under? If its anything like samurai jack it simply wouldn't intrest the same size of an age group as most anime would. Sure there are a lot of people who think that cartoons made in a japanese style but made by americans for americans is going to seem not as good. The reason why that is, is because americans who make a cartoon and or animation in japanese style is usually going to cater it to the preteens and teen age kids to watch after they get home from school. Don't get me wrong though they make Japanese anime for the exact same reasons and age groups but what sets anime from japan apart is that its also made for the other age groups as well.