• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Stupid things that happened while cooking.

Sigurd

Internet Dig Dug
Has anything happened to you while you were cooking that was just should not have happened.

A few days before Christmas last year I was cooking food early in the morning and I accidently set it on fire and tried to get it off the burner. The handle was too hot to handle and I dropped it on the plastic rug right next to the door that leads to the outside. Since then there has been a rather large circle of that rug that was melted onto the bottom of the pan.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Oil always flicks out of the pan and burns me on the arms, other than that, no stupid things.

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
I think the stupidest thing I've done while cooking was cause a pan of olive oil to catch on fire... The phone rang, I forgot to turn off the heat and walked out of the kitchen while the oil was heating up. Luckily I caught it in time, had flour to throw on the flames and nothing was ruined apart from my pan and the wooden spoon.

kitchendame

Registered Member
My brother and I are both foodies, and one afternoon we decided to try this wonderful fish mousse recipe we saw on a show. We wrote out the recipe as fast as we could, but when it came to making the mousse I misread my messy handwriting and put in, not 1/4 oz. of sambucca (a licorish liqueur), but 1/4 cup, which is like 3 times as much as is called for. We really couldn't understand why the mousse was so liquidy but upon tasting it we re-checked the recipe and found out why. It was so horrible neither of us could get beyond the descriptive adjective 'incredible'.

Last edited:

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
I think maybe this fits this topic.

I am waitress at restaurant, when I first started this job maybe only after 2-3 weeks I brought a tray of food for 3 people to their table. I picked up the first plate and leaned across the table to set it in front of the customer, but also leaned the tray... the other 2 plates and 1 drink fell off the tray and into the middle of the table. Yes, it was a bad day lol.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
One time I left the pizza in the oven and went out to pick up my son from school. Midway, I remembered it and ran back home. True enough, smoke was already coming out of the oven. No pizza for lunch.

Also I used red cabbage instead of normal one for my own version of cabbage soup and my soup turned violet. Not really appetising.

viLky

ykLiv
o-- Making Rice Krispy treats one day when I was trying to get it out of a pan with a spatula when I used my full force only to have the treat fly into the air getting stuck on the ceiling. It eventually came down... and still tasted great. ^.^;

o-- Countless times I stuck items in the microwave, pressed 5+ minutes and went to do something else. Of course, it was only suppose to be in the microwave for 30 sec. - 1 minute. Smoke, smoke, smoke. I don't know why I do this, probably just out of habit.

o-- One time I put aluminum foil in the microwave. Oops. See bottom of #2 for details about the end results.

kitchendame

Registered Member
One time I was suppose to put a teaspoon of salt and instead put in a cup. im like that can't be right. I was reading the recipe off of my friend's handwriting. their t looked like a c.
I particularly love that you thought, "this can't be right" and did it anyway.
------
o-- Making Rice Krispy treats one day when I was trying to get it out of a pan with a spatula when I used my full force only to have the treat fly into the air getting stuck on the ceiling. It eventually came down... and still tasted great. ^.^;

o-- Countless times I stuck items in the microwave, pressed 5+ minutes and went to do something else. Of course, it was only suppose to be in the microwave for 30 sec. - 1 minute. Smoke, smoke, smoke. I don't know why I do this, probably just out of habit.

o-- One time I put aluminum foil in the microwave. Oops. See bottom of #2 for details about the end results.
Now, see, if that had happened at my house my family would have taken a picture of it on the ceiling and then never let me live it down till the day I died. Too funny for words.

Last edited:

Zappa

Registered Member
Once in High School I put a pizza in the oven, but forgot to take the plastic off. Such a mess.