• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Stupid Proxy Servers

L

Laharl ex

Any chance anyone here knows how to prevent people from abusing proxy servers to spam message boards? There's this place that is and will get spammed, if I'm made admin, I want to know how to...I dunno...how to stop them?

Blur

iPimp
One solution would be to simply turn off registration, so that nobody could join the forum. Leave it like this for a few days and they might just give up or forget. Otherwise, try banning their hostname and not the IP address...if that doesn't work you really have no other option other than making it so that admins have to review new members and choose whether or not to let them join the forum, that way they deny everyone they don't know and let people they know in.

L

Laharl ex

The board has a Enable account activation, is that what you mean, please help soon...its starting...

Blur

iPimp
nah i mean make it so that the admins have to physically allow or deny new members to actually join. Like admin activation.

or just turn off registering so nobody can join the forum

L

Laharl ex

The only option that looks like it does that is "Enable account activation." It has three options, none, user, and admin, I just placed it on admin, then got a email for someone wanting to activate an account to spam. So, I guess that's it?

Blur

iPimp
thats it

L

Laharl ex

Doesn't matter, the person took control of board and disabled all the admins, but me. Then they made changes to the board. All while I was asleep.

Blur

iPimp
oh they took over it...well, id say youre at his/her mercy right now, just try to get him to let ya have it back and leave your board alone, ive talked down a few hackers or w/e he did before...its easier then ya would think.

L

Laharl ex

He said that the board owner gave him the password somehow? The board is sorta messed up at the moment. Not only that, I can't contact the owner because she's hiding from everyone on the internet. From what I know, its because:

We have her MSN account. We have this website. We can backtrace her IP to find everything she has posted on the internet. We can find 'Kevin' on NETBIOS.
He has his own admin account, the board owners password, and another person's account that he could use just in case. By that, I mean he's changed passwards and made it so they can't get emailed a new ones for the ones he uses.

Ehh...