Stupid Cat

Msbabedoll

Registered Member
Ok I was nice...I went and adopted this sweet little kitty....took her and got her all her shots so she is nice and healthy....got her fixed so she would never have to deal with labor pain and whinny little kitties and what do I get in return?

I get bite when I try to pet her

She PEES in the bath tub! Guess I should be greatful its not the carpet!

And today I"m putting my groceries away and turn around and she's gotten into one of my bags and ripped into the hamburger meat!!!

So do I try to make her a better kitty, or do I get rid of her!!???

Julie

Registered Member
OMG Jen! How old is kitty? And do you or anyone in the house have the time/patience to work with her? Sounds like she needs to be locked up when you're not home!

Msbabedoll

Registered Member
Lets see the lady at the animal shelter said she was born new years day. She is a very beautiful cat. She is long haired and its black and she has white back feet and what they call a tuxedo look. She just seems SO wild. It has slacked off some since she got fixed though. And she only pees in the bathtub when her liter box is not changed after two days. lol BUTTTT she about really made me mad when i found her in my package of hamburger!! And she gets up on the cabinets and Scott HATES that!!

Any suggestions on how to train her to be a little better??

Julie

Registered Member
Some training tricks from when I've had cats:

A squirt/spray bottle with water in it - When the cat's doing something it's not supposed to (peeing in tub, getting on counters, etc.)...spray her with the water. Usually 1 or 2 squirts to the face does it. Have a firm tone in your voice too. Doesnt matter what you say to em, it's the tone of the voice. Actually, keep a squirt bottle in each room. Cuz if you catch em doing something, if ya gotta go to another room to get the bottle...forget it.

Rolled up newspaper or hand - give a lil swat on the side of the butt. And again, a firm tone in your voice.

If being fixed isnt calming her down enough...you might want to consider the claws next. Something I found out from the vet of the last cat I had is if you have them declawed...it's like cutting off your fingertips at the first knuckle (ewww)...which most cats rebel from. Didn't know that with my first cat...he refused to bury his business in the litterbox after he was declawed. Another option is 'tendonectomy' (sp?)...they go in & cut the tendon that allows them to retract their claws. They will still have claws, just cant scratch anything...and you will need to clip the claws too.

Anything else? Yes...they're just like kids...they like lots of attention & play time!

LicentiousVenus

Registered Member
The cat may be acting up because it's not use to you or your house yet. Give it a couple weeks to calm down, and use the spary bottle lol. Squirt guns work too. My bf trained his cat by throwing pillows at it...now all you have to do is pick up a pillow and say no and it stops what it is doing. But then you have to pick up the pillows.

You may also want to find out what type of litter the shelter was using...maybe the cat would prefer that brand....might buy you a couple days before it gets upset and pees in the tub....but in all reality the litter box should be scooped daily....i'm bad about doing that myself, but it's sometimes the only way to keep the cat happy.

Other than that, just disipline the cat and also reward it with a treat when it is good..once the cat gets use to you it should calm down....if not, talk to your vet.

kromsales

Registered Member
Get a water bottle that squirts nice and far. When she does something wrong squirt her. Cats hate water and she will learn that way :)

1_ares_1

Registered Member
Omg! omg! water bottle yes! declaw...NEVERRRRRRRR!!!!!!! If, God forbid, she ever got out and didn't come home by nightfall, she has absolutely no defense against an enemy! She cant even climb a tree or fence without her claws! A cat HAS TO HAVE claws. If she scratches the furniture, put aluminum foil where she scratches. That'll stop her. If she's doing other stuff...the water bottle. Please PLEASE don't ever declaw a cat. Sorry Julie... but that is not the way. Don't mean to knock you at all. It's just very dangerous to the cat. (can you tell I'm a kitty rescue peep?)

Julie

Registered Member
No that's ok...I meant just the front ones. If they get loose, they CAN climb a tree with just the back ones. And if attacked by an enemy...they can lay on their back & do damage with the back ones too. I know this from cats I've had.

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
1_ares_1 said:
Omg! omg! water bottle yes! declaw...NEVERRRRRRRR!!!!!!! If, God forbid, she ever got out and didn't come home by nightfall, she has absolutely no defense against an enemy! She cant even climb a tree or fence without her claws! A cat HAS TO HAVE claws. If she scratches the furniture, put aluminum foil where she scratches. That'll stop her. If she's doing other stuff...the water bottle. Please PLEASE don't ever declaw a cat. Sorry Julie... but that is not the way. Don't mean to knock you at all. It's just very dangerous to the cat. (can you tell I'm a kitty rescue peep?)
I agree with this. When I went to Hawaii last year and spent a couple of months with my sister I found this out! my sister had her cat declawed and the cat was never supposed to go outside. However her three kids were constantly opening the door and letting the cat out. The cat would get out and stay gone all day. One day she didn't come back and my sister found her the next morning on her way to work with her face all torn up cuz she had gotten in a fight and could not defend herself. That Cat had to be taken to the Vet twice while I was there for this reason. I felt so sorry for the cat. I am not a cat person I prefer dogs but I would never do this to any animal.