study: video games better ur eyesight than carrots!

blackhorse

Registered Member
This may be a stretch, but studies are currently being conducted to find out if high-action video games are actually good for your ocular health. Meaning, of course, that when your parents said both, "Playing all those video games will ruin your vision!" and "Carrots are the best thing for improving your vision!," wrong!

Apparently, the ability to discern between different shades of gray is an attribute in humans that is unable to be improved; however, it has recently come to the attention of scientists at the University of Rochester that playing video games that utilize high levels of action (like first-person shooters) actually improves the aforementioned attribute—meaning said video games actually improve your vision.

how cool is this?! has this happened to anyone? i ve been playin video games for a long time now but my eyesight has been steadily deteriorating not improving -.- has video games affected u in a positive way?

Twitch

Registered Member
Source?

But yeah, I guess video games may have slightly bettered my vision. Mostly helped out my peripherals, I bet. Gotta see those enemies coming from the sides.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Presumably, if you're taking all the recommended breaks every half hour (at least) or so (ie: focusing on distant objects for 10 mins), then I could see how this is possibly feasible.

Of what I've read, the ocular damage from playing video games or watching TV comes from staring at an object at the same point in space, often too close, for too long; the eyeball gets stressed out like any other part of your body. Reading too much apparently causes the same damage.

Bananas

Endangered Species
Im skeptical of these studies as I dont understand enough to differentiate between what is technically "better" and what may just be fine tuning and accustomising.

But yeah, I guess video games may have slightly bettered my vision. Mostly helped out my peripherals, I bet. Gotta see those enemies coming from the sides.
Dont you position your TV in your point of vision(foeval) though?

Bjarki

Registered Member
Sounds like wishful thinking to me. You cannot be a serious gamer without wearing glasses or at least needing them :cute:

I ruined my eyes really well with my PC and reading stuff, but I have no regrets :)

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Oh good, that'll make playing The Saboteur better!

Seriously, can someone please give me an example as to how being able to tell different shades of grey apart is an improvement? Now, if it helped with something else vision related, maybe. But as best as I can tell, having the ability to tell apart shades of a specific colour is only any good if you're buying lipstick. And even then it's so you can say "No, they're not different shades, they're both the bleedin' same!"