• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Study Shows People Who Watch Fox News Are Misinformed

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
That's hilarious when some of those are based on opinion and not fact:lol:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I saw this a few days ago but I hesitated posting it because it's just not worth the discussion anymore. Big media is a joke when it comes to untainted, non bias information. CNN, FOX, MSNBC, they all participate in varying levels of misinformation. They almost create these alternate realities that don't give real fact, just half truths and lies coated with a thick sauce of political bias. Whichever side you tend to follow, there will be a channel for it and they will pander to you. Some of the 'stats' mentioned are somewhat opinionated, but this whole "where's the birth certificate' thing is just fucking awful.

I mean, I know there are dumb people out there but that percentage is beyond ridiculous.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I agree with Cons in that they all engage in misinformation and express opinions as fact. Viewers of every news organizations have their share of those that are misinformed.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I agree with Cons in that they all engage in misinformation and express opinions as fact. Viewers of every news organizations have their share of those that are misinformed.
I sometimes agree that FOX gets a lot more heat, but then again they're the largest so it's not that surprising.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
411mania.com: Movies - [Gossip] Study Shows People Who Watch Fox News Are Misinformed[Gossip]-Study-Shows-People-Who-Watch-Fox-News-Are-Misinformed.htm

I don't watch Fox News but I know that there's quite a few people that do, and quite a few people that cannot stand Fox News.

I found this study rather fascinating and I was wondering what you guys thought.
I could actually draw a different conclusion from the report. That is FOX News viewers don't care what most experts agree and instead personalized the survey.

411 is wrong about the questions they presented. For example, the stimulus question was phrased as "most economists who had studied it concluded that the stimulus legislation had created or saved several million jobs." I don't know or care what "most economist think". What I know is that the stimulus was supposed to cap unemployment at 8% and now we're hitting 10%, so I could say that yes it lost jobs.

Or another one said that:
"Though the CBO concluded that the health reform law would reduce the budget deficit, 53% of voters thought most economists have concluded that health reform will increase the deficit."

Well what I know and apparently the morons at Maryland don't is that is the CBO preliminary figures. Remember ObamaCare was passed before anyone could read it? After they revised their numbers, CBO said it would considerably add to the deficit.

Or another:
Though the National Academy of Sciences has concluded that climate change is occurring, 45% of voters thought most scientists think climate change is not occurring (12%) or that scientists are evenly divided (33%).

I don't care what most scientist think about climate change especially knowing that the grants are there for scientist who agree with the climate alarmist.

How about one more:
Though the Department of Commerce says that the US economy began to recover from recession in the third quarter of 2009 and has continued to grow since then, only 44% of voters thought the economy is starting to recover, while 55% thought the economy is still getting worse.

By what measure? Real inflation is starting to skyrocket. I don't care what most economist think. What I care about is 3 months ago milk was 2.89 at Walmart and now its 3.45.

I could go on...

Wade8813

Registered Member
I don't suppose they'd like to give us a point of comparison (say, what the rest of the country thinks)?

Most people I've heard think the health reform law will increase the deficit - that's what people tend to think when the government spends tons of money

Many people I've heard think the economy is getting worse because of specific things they can point to in their lives, or in the lives of people they know

Does anybody really know or care who initiated the GM/Chrysler bailout? If someone asked me, my answer would basically be a coin flip (ironically, the 56% is basically just that)

JaneSmith

Registered Member
All Media uses contextual objectivity. That's a term of the industry that means that they give the audience what they want to hear. That way FOX stays in business, they make money, their advertisers make money, their ratings go up. It's a business.

If people depend on Media for knowledge then... they need to go back to school. FOX is entertainment. I personally think it's a comedy channel, that O'Reilly guy is hysterical.

As for resources for real information in real-time... there are other places than FOX, NBC, CBS, and ABC that are highly accurate and informative.

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
Something I have learned, never trust just the media within your own country. Media of all sources seems to have some bias, but I tend to find sources outside your country, when talking of stories within your country are much more reliable and much less bias.