• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Study: Retirement at 65 no longer realistic for many

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The research, done by something called the Employee Benefit Research Institute, indicates that the only way a lot of folks will be able to afford retirement is by working into their 80s:

Many of us won?t be able to retire until our 80s Robert Powell - MarketWatch

I'm still young and have long ways before I hit retirement, but I keep hearing older people say that they'll have to work till in there 70s before they retire.

Are you guys planning for your retirement? Meaning are you putting money away for when that time arrives?

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
I was when I was working at a full-time job. But as a graduate student I am not. I barely make ends meet with my assistantship funds.

Either way, the way retirement is set up, companies to not put enough money into employee's retirement, and many employee's do not save enough.

America doesn't save at all.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I really dont plan on retiring. However I plan on Vacationing alot. I've already got multiple retirement accounts set up. Modest amounts, its not like I've got 5 digits laying around in offshore accounts :hah:

But a few grand here and there and a little more when I can add to it makes a nice emergency fund that I make a habit of forgetting about.

stripes

Registered Member
I don't really expect to be able to retire. I'd love to be able to save up and give it a go, but I just don't have any spare cash right now, and don't see myself ever being in a situation to have savings. It's a shame, but it's just the way my life is going.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
They keep raising the retirement age here. Who knows, maybe when i'm on my 30s the retirement age may be 80-85.

I have a savings account to dip into when i'm in a bind, hopefully if i ever get a full time long term job it'll be a nice pot when i'm older.

Wade8813

Registered Member
At some point, I think you have to start considering that you won't live long enough to retire. Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't save for then, because if you're like a lot of 65-70 year old people I know who work, they're working at a grocery store or other low income job.