• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Studios, Exhibitors Consider Revolutionary Plan for Day-and-Date Movies at Home (EXCLUSIVE)

thealigator

Registered Member
My initial thought on this is cost. Look, I get that films are expensive I really do but $150 (roughly £100) for the set top box and then $50 (roughly £20) per viewing? I am for stopping cinema piracy I honestly am. I don't think it funds terrorism as we are told but I do dislike that it hurts the industry but this I think is really not the answer. To put this into a little perspective I pay £17 per month to Ciniworld, I get UNLIMITED film watching in that month, now THAT is a good deal.

But the thing is in principal this could work, the model just needs to be changed a bit. A hew years ago when Heartless was released it was shown in the cinema and immediately after it was available for streaming and to buy on DVD, now that is a model that works. Piracy will never vanish, (Kanye West can try to sue Pirate Bay all he wants but he is going to fail because the man it seems has no grasp of what Pirate Bay actually is) but if the film industries gave people more options of how to legally get hold of films it would help.

As someone who enjoys indie and foreign cinema I struggle to see some films I want to. Fortunately I have an art house cinema in my city that to an extent caters for me but not everyone has this.

The cinema industry needs to wake up. Instant streaming on day of release? Go for it! I can almost guarantee that if Disney had worked out a deal with Apple to allow for Star Wars to be downloaded on iTunes they would have made serious money.