Students' ethics challenged by survey results

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Steerpike, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Registered Member

Here is a link to the complete article:

Lexington News - Kentucky News | Lexington Herald-Leader

What do you think about this?

Discuss.

2. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Well, since we don't have any other numbers to compare it to, it seems pretty meaningless. What if 30% of students have stolen from a store, but 45% of the population has?

Also, this includes people who stole once when they were 12, got caught, and never did it again, along with people who have a rap sheet longer than my arm.

Or someone who once cheated on a test once in their entire school career, along with those that cheat more often than they do things the right way.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

"The competition is greater, the pressures on kids have increased dramatically," said Mel Riddle of the National Association of Secondary School Principals. "They have opportunities their predecessors didn't have (to cheat). The temptation is greater."

Oh boo-hoo, things are getting harder, tough shit. I don't steal or cheat and I'm doing great. What do you really expect to learn from that survey that isn't already apparent? Most people are assholes, they steal, they lie, and they take advantage when they can. It's human nature.

I'll tell you what's really going on: lack of responsibility. Not just young people, mind you, but overall as a society we don't like responsibility anymore. We love to blame, but we have when it's on us. If some college student walks into a convenience store and steals lets say, a Hot Pocket and a soda because he doesn't have the money to pay for it, and he is caught, what do you do? He's obviously not poor since he's attending a college, so why not punish him or her appropriately? When did this soft, weak sense of punishment infect this country?

"He's just a child!"
    "He's helpless!"
    "He needs our help!"

All of those excuses may be true, but it doesn't give someone the right to steal. He should get a job. If he can't (let's say for time constraints since there isn't much else in terms of good reasons) then his parents should help. If there are no parents to help, then get family or government aid. Working at my school's convenient store for three years has taught me one thing about college students is that they believe stealing is no big deal, that they're just "stickin' it to the man" or that they're "combating injustice" since they don't like the prices or don't have the money. I'd say that almost 80% of people who steal aren't stealing out of necessity.

Steerpike likes this.