• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Divisive Student Loan Crisis

dDave

V.I.P.
One of the hottest political debates of our time is the student loan crisis. I listen to a lot of podcasts where people talk about student loans (among other things) and this is always that hot button issue that seems to be the biggest issue above all others for people financially across the country.

I just want to say directly that I'm honestly offended by the idea that the government should pay off student loans. I took myself through college and paid cash, it took me 5 years to get a 4 year degree and I worked 45 hours a week to make it work. College was super expensive but to graduate without debt was a huge accomplishment in my book. Now, after I worked my ass off and paid for college myself (like a responsible person), a bunch of people out there feel entitled enough to say that I should also pay for their college. Make no mistake, that would be me paying for their college too since I am a taxpayer. Nevermind that the country is basically bankrupt since we have over $20T in debt, we definitely can't afford to pay for it.

I am (reluctantly) ok with lowering interest rates on loans if we want to do that but the idea that I should pay back a loan that someone else agreed to take is totally unpalatable to me. When you take out a loan, you take it out with the understanding that you're liable to pay it back, no?

I also want to state that I think it should be much harder to get a student loan and the regulations surrounding that should be a lot more strict. I fully recognize that the government is screwing people quite badly with these loans (which is why I am ok with lowering interest rates) but that doesn't change the fact that you agreed to be responsible to pay it back. Sorry, not my problem. I am not liable for your mistakes, this is America where you are free to make your own mistakes and I'm free to not pay for your mistakes.

Rant over.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I agree. The problem is we're living in the age that Franklin warned about when he said once people figure out they can vote themselves money from the government, the republic will die.
Maybe he wasn't the one that said it. IDK. Regardless, is a true statement.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I completely agree. The taxpayers are not responsible for my school loans, I am. Maybe if we stopped creating false demands for schooling, the cost wouldn’t rise so exponentially? I mean, who would have thought trying to violate supply and demand would create this?

dDave

V.I.P.
I completely agree. The taxpayers are not responsible for my school loans, I am. Maybe if we stopped creating false demands for schooling, the cost wouldn’t rise so exponentially? I mean, who would have thought trying to violate supply and demand would create this?
Yeah, that's the crazy part no one wants to talk about. Government getting involved has caused the cost to go way up. Same with healthcare. Everything the government touches ends up worse off.

Schools quickly caught on and realized that it didn't matter what they charged, people would take out a loan for it and have the government pay for it. The results of that? The cost of school per credit hour was going up 10% per semester the entire time I was in college. I graduated in 2016 and the cost continues to go up.

College is not the only way to get good marketable skills. Trades and crafts can make you excellent money, much more than I make in many cases.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Maybe I'm wrong but I think the number of foreign students that come here help drive up the price of college. Their government sometimes pays for their tuition.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
In electrical transmission field we have a shortage of linemen. Straight out of high school, 50k/year. After a few years making a lot more than that. Exciting job. Can't fill the jobs.
The idea that everyone needs a college degree is there biggest scam of the education system.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
In electrical transmission field we have a shortage of linemen. Straight out of high school, 50k/year. After a few years making a lot more than that. Exciting job. Can't fill the jobs.
The idea that everyone needs a college degree is there biggest scam of the education system.
We have all kinds of shortages of jobs down here also. We have a huge court reporter shortage. They can make anywhere between $70,000 and $90,000/year. But people insist on borrowing thousands of dollars and getting a degree that ends in “studies”. It makes no sense. And now they want ME to pay for it.