• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Studded Snow Tires

IrishLass2247

Registered Member
I recently moved to an area where I actually need to buy studded snow tires because of the amount of seasonal snowfall we get. I have never used studded snow tires in my life and know nothing about them. Do they really make that much of a difference over just a really good all-season tire?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would think a good studded snow tire would give you more traction than a regular tire.

Godsmirror

Registered Member
First of all, check your state laws. Studded winter tires

Personally, I've never been a fan of studded tires. Especially metal studs. They decrease the life of the asphalt they are used on substantially. I drive both I-10 and I-40 a lot, and you can see the difference in those roads quite easily. I-10 never gets snow in the winter while I-40 does, and this is in a state where metal studs are permitted in weather where they are needed.

I-10 needs a resurfacing coat of asphalt every few years, the terrain is relatively flat and studs are not needed down there. It;s a really smooth ride year round. I-40 on the other hand.........the altitude changes frequently, it winds through mountain passes, there are sections between Kingman and Flagstaff that are total garbage and I can understand how it would be difficult to keep those stretches maintained. Metal studs may not be the only reason for the seemingly permanent poor road conditions, but they don't help one bit. That, and if there is a difference in the handling of the car with studs versus all-season radials, it's negligible at best.
Most people don't see the point in using them.

I would opt for the all seasons, but that is based on my needs and preferences.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
All season tires are better. The studs can eventually wear down, and the rubber left isn't good for traction at all. So one day, the studs are still alright, but they wear down by the time you get home, and then you leave home the next day thinking you have studs, but oops, not anymore. All seasons can handle wetter snow, ice, etc. Just be sure to adjust your driving to the road conditions. Also better for your car. if the studs dont wear evenly, one tire can end up with more traction than the other, and that can mess up your drive train too. I imagine your alignment as well.