• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Xbox 360 Stuck DVD Drawer

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
So I go to play a little GTAV this afternoon and the drawer in my Xbox will no longer open. It has got stuck in the past but after powering it down and pressing the button again on eject normally works but today it has not. I am in the process of trying to take to apart and have got the main front off but am struggling to get the back off it.

Has anyone had any success in taking it off and fixing the drawer? I was watching a youtube clip showing me how to do it but it just would not come off and I am unsure if I can even fix it when I get into it. Does anyone have any sure fire ways of fixing this problem? I really don't want to say good bye to my console but if there is nothing I can do well so be it...

dDave

V.I.P.
What version of the console do you have?

If it's given you grief in the past and it finally broke altogether then you may be out of luck. What I would recommend is replacing the drawer entirely with a new one. They run for something like $20 on eBay. It's just like working on a computer, swapping a DVD drive on a 360 should be pretty easy. Nice, cheap, easy fix :).

Also. Do you have a game stuck inside your current drive?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
See this is the odd thing Dave, earlier today I was cleaning up and I ejected the DVD from my Xbox and removed a disc from it and it did work but now it does not so I am somewhat confused as to what may have changed. I am going to continue trying to bring it back to life but I am not holding out a lot of hope :D

In all honest I am not that worried, it kind of gives me an excuse to buy my PS4 earlier, the only thing that angers me is losing my save in GTA V but to be fair that was never going to be transferable, the only thing that does bother me is I can't trade my 360 against the PS4 if I ca't get it working.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Press the eject button and kinda lightly slap the top of your xbox a couple times. Thats how I get my tray to come out. If I don't have a disc in it, it likes to get stuck. That's because I always push on it to close it instead of pressing the button to make it close. Now too, if i press the button for it to close, it get stuck and I have to jimmy it a little.

I've taken my xbox apart a couple of times. Sometimes the dvd drive stops reading my games, so I have to take my xbox apart and then take the dvd drive apart and clean it all.

Its not super complicated, so I would recommend following the video and opening your xbox. The dvd drive connects just like in a computer. Take that out, and under the screws to take the metal casing off. Then just clean all the dust off etc. Make sure the gears are clean. Then put it all back together again.

It should work better. It won't be perfect, since its worn out etc.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
*does a happy dance*

So I tried the light tap that Danny and others suggested and it didn't work so I frankly gave it a good thump with my fist on the basis that it couldn't do any harm and it came back to life :D

I have ejected and put back in about five times so I am happy bunny, like you say Danny it's not a perfect fix but it's better than not being able to use it at all. Thank you to you both :)
------
Rep to both for offering good advice.

Last edited:

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Yah, sometimes I have to slap it pretty hard haha. I do find thought that things that are stuck usually come loose with violence haha.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Yah, sometimes I have to slap it pretty hard haha. I do find thought that things that are stuck usually come loose with violence haha.
Without wishing to sound like a evil politician violence does sometimes fix problems :D