Strikes & Picketers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by icegoat63, Jul 1, 2008.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

What are your opinions on Strikes and Picketers?

Today is the first day that my company will be 100% Non-Union, so naturally the union that has taken advantage of, striked against, and sued us in the past is now picketing in front of our Shop.

Me personally I am not a Pro-Union person. I feel that the days of the Union were numbered a Long time ago. Their sole purpose was to create better working conditions for people who had it real bad. Now a days there are unions for everything and worst of all its as though they have all lost track of their original goals.

When I see picketers I cant help but laugh, I mean is there any other better way to waste talent? These are men and women who specialize in a trade and instead of working for the better of everyone around them they are stomping around with signs in front of a place of business that refuses to see things their way.

2. Danger_Mouse

Danger_Mouse Registered Member

I would have a tendency to agree with you however I can see that union's still have some functionality. A work collegue raised a case of bullying against a manager and had alot of support from the union she was a member off when it came to presenting the case to HR etc..

What I don't understand is Union's organising pay strikes and then asking for raises that are astronomical and completely unjustified.. i.e the petrol tanker drivers over here just got a 14% pay increase when your average joe may get 3% :|

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

If there's a system of real dialogue between employers and employees, then unions are not necessary. However it's not always the case. Some companies will only listen to their employees when threatened with strike or public protest. Are their unions who abuse, yes. It doesn't make idea of strikes bad - but the one who abuses the idea.

4. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

Unions are important in manufacturing towns and for teachers especially with salary or wage negotiation.

However it is true that a lot of unions seems to have lost their way. But a lot of people in unions are having difficulty staying in employment.

I dont really have much of a problem with picketers and protesters. In fact it is refreshing to see civilian protesting.

5. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I agree with you that Union leadership in many cases have lost focus on the original goals of the Union movement, however saying things like "unions have outlived their usefulness" is just as harmful as the corruption of the leadership. What needs to happen is the rank and file need to re-organize and oust these people who are only interested in their cush jobs provided by the people they are supposed to represent.

Unions will always be necessary because there are very few employers out there who are willing to provide a living wage out of the goodness of their hearts.

Strikes are a necessary tool to show the employer that they need Labor as much as Labor needs them, but strikes are ineffective if there's no solidarity.

It breaks my heart that Union membership is at an all-time low.

6. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I say they've lost their usefulness when We as a contractor can provide a Much Much better deal for them than their beloved Union ever could. Our employees will now be making More on their checks, be contributing more to their 401k, and best of all can choose exactly what they want for their health benefits. Without the cost of union dues, fees, and taxes its seriously amazing the difference in compensation these employees will receive.

Now I'm for the good of the people. When unions were established with the purpose of ridding their respected districts of poor working conditions, unfair compensation issues, and overall protection of the working class soul... I am 100% for it. I live in California, one of the most Employee friendly State Governments because of the fact that Unions of the past have pushed for laws and regulations to better their workers environment. Now that things like this have been accomplished, it is highly evident that Union leadership has become just as greedy and corrupt as the Employers they originally sought out to thwart. Hypocritical and just sad in my honest opinion.
    ------
    Oh also... my assumption for the low Union membership would have to be attributed to the vast amount of Career changes a person makes in their lives nowadays. I recall a business instructor quoting some outrageous statistic of like 10-15 different jobs a person will hold before they retire in todays market.

Where as before it was not uncommon to have someone work at a factory for 40-50 years straight.

it just seems that with the amount of career path changes, it would get way to expensive to pay union entry fee's over and over and over and over.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  7. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

It's very different in California than in other states, particularly in the South. I understand what you are saying, and I used to feel that way too, but I think that Labor still is fighting an uphill battle for the most part. There are select employers such as Whole Foods and Costco who are willing to provide living wages and benefits, but there are others like Wal-Mart who will stop at nothing to demoralize their employees. Wal-Mart as a matter of fact encourages its employees to apply for government assistance programs; meanwhile the Wal-Mart heirs are among the wealthiest people in the U.S.