• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Stress Fracture

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I currently have a stress fracture in my left foot. It's a very small break, so small that it usually doesn't show up on x-rays and isn't treated with plaster etc like a full break. The main way of treating it is just resting the foot and trying not to walk much, or maybe getting a foot brace. I've read that it's sort of like a repetitive strain injury and occurs from overuse. Apparently it's really common in athletes and... dinosaurs.

Even though it's a small break, it has still been causing me a lot of pain and I've been limping most days. Has anyone else every had one of these before or know of someone who has had one? I'm really hoping mine will just heal itself eventually. My doctor said if it's still bad in a month or so I might have to get a foot brace.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've never had one but I would take it real easy on that foot. I wouldn't do anything at all to aggravate it. That is if you can, I know sometimes life won't let you do what you need to. You might try wrapping it with athletic tape or something like that and see if that helps.

Hiei

The Hierophant
When I was twelve I had my left arm smashed between the face mask of one helmet and the top of another helmet while playing football. Gave me a stress fracture on my ulna. I played football on it for two weeks before I finally went to the doctor and he told me that it's broken. The kicker, he said, is that if I would have just stayed off of it for the two weeks, it would have been mostly healed.

My piece of advice, is get a nice soft brace, and stay off that foot as much as possible. Take some ibuprofen for your pain, and take it easy. You really don't want to be gimped up with a cast for six to eight weeks.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I'd already been walking (well, limping really) on it for about 2 months before I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with the stress fracture. Everyones telling me to stop walking, but between work and my classes right now it really isn't an option. I hope I don't make it worse. If I can just get to June then I can rest it then.

Hiei

The Hierophant
Do what you want, it's not my foot. But, just so you know, by continuing to agitate your stress fracture, you run the chance of not healing it properly, which could give you a limp for the rest of your life. Personally, if I were you, I would be making sure that I was off my foot as much as possible even if I had to use crutches or a cane.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I know it's not what I should be doing. What I'm trying to say is that I wish I could spend all my days laying down, relaxing it etc but with my other responsibilities right now I can't do that, which sucks. I just want to rest it but I have to keep walking to get to class, I'm on my feet the whole time at work etc.

In just over a months time I have a really long break and can rest it then.

Iris

rainbow 11!
Why can't you use crutches to stay off your foot? You have that option. Even with school and work, it can be done. It would be hard, as you'd have to carry all of your stuff in a backpack or one with wheels. Hell, I've seen people walk with one crutch. It might slow you down but it'd certainly give your foot a break.

You probably wouldn't be able to use it at your job, though. But it would help in other ways.

Taliesin

Registered Member
Iris is right. I think you should at least use a crutch to keep as much weight off your foot as possible. And is there absolutely no way you could be allowed to sit at work, or does your actual role demand that you be on your feet all the time? Is there not a different role that your employer can slot you into while your foot recovers?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
There's not even any seats at my work, only for customers, we aren't allowed to sit. And heaps of my classes are right up the top of buildings. I only know where some of the lifts are, it would just be so annoying trying to use crutches and get around the city.

Iris

rainbow 11!
What's more annoying, using a crutch for a few weeks or limping for the rest of your life?