• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Strategy Guides: do you use them?

yooperchick

Registered Member
I can't ever remember using a strategy guide. I have, however, used Gamefaqs to get me out of a bind. Sometimes it is just frustrating to be stuck somewhere and not know what to do.

Teorropy

I have a couple, I tend to not use them, only if I get stuck in the game and can't figure it out. Then after I beat a game I will pull it out and go back though and try and get everything I can in the game.

yooperchick

Registered Member
I just remembered about Nintendo Power magazines. I used to get those, but for the life of me I cannot remember what all was in them. What would those be classified under? They are not truly a strategy guide, but did they have mini ones or something? I hate it when I remember bits and pieces of something....

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Those were like Tip Books or inserts that came in the magazine. If you're thinking about the very early early issues, then they came in the middle of the magazine between the binding. Then they started to sell actual "Guides" in their yearly catalogues and back issue list. There was a wide variety of general tip books and game specific guides. I think it was when the game specific ones came out that guides started to go online and get more intense and available for people.

ok.... so any questions class??? :)

yooperchick

Registered Member
Oh, just wait Vega..when you get old your memory is gonna get shot too. And then after you have kids, forget about it. I'm sure that some of the parents here can attest to that. Since I already have one kid, and another one *may* be on the way, I am doomed.

Thanks for the lesson. I know I've used at least a few issues of Nintendo Power, but I don't think I used any of those that were an actual guide. So, I guess my previous answer is still safe. It would be neat to get my hands on one of those. If I was smart, I would have saved the ones that I had.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm using a guide to find a lot of the heart pieces in Majora's Mask. Some of them would be almost impossible to figure out without help. I'm doing pretty much everything else on my own though. It's not much fun using a guide to tell you where to go or how to solve a puzzle. That's the whole point of playing the game.

yooperchick

Registered Member
It doesn't give you the same sense of satisfaction, either. I found I felt better if I could solve things on my own. Plus, it gave better bragging rights too :)

I know in Legend of Zelda, I did find a lot of things on my own, but there were some that I couldn't of found without looking up a map on the net. I did beat it before doing that, but then I felt I could really complete the game (and do it alot faster).

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
madgamer said:
It doesn't give you the same sense of satisfaction, either. I found I felt better if I could solve things on my own. Plus, it gave better bragging rights too :)
Exactly. Using a guide for a videogame is like driving or taking a ski lift or tram to the top of a mountain. Sure, you're going to get the same spectacular views as someone who spent three hours hiking to the top, but you're not going to feel like you accomplished anything.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Guides aren't cheating or spoiling anything. Most of the time they only give you the most general of information or make light of what's in the game. Walkthroughs are what spoil everything. I think the guide that I've found the most informative was the Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past one. All others have been somewhat less informative. The Super Mario RPG one is perhaps my favorite and the one that most illustrates the new fun reading purposes of guides.