Strange Theories?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by EllyDicious, Apr 12, 2010.

1. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm working on muscles almost 7 hours a week [1 hour a day] and I try to do all the exercises.
    What surprises me is that I haven't lost any weight. Seems like I've gained weight [I've weighed myself].

Is it because of muscles that I've put on some weight?

Also, I've heard that the body is filled with water [especially muscles] when you stop working out.
    Is that true???
    This sounds strange to me.

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Muscle is more dense than fat, so you could be gaining weight even though you're getting smaller.

As far as your muscles being filled with water when you're done working out, I've never heard of that. Lactate (lactic acid) accumulates in your muscles after a strenuous workout because oxygen supplies can be inadequate to meet the demands of muscle at work, but water, I've never heard of that.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

The only thing I can think of about your muscles being filled with water is if you take creatine for a while then you just stop completely, your muscle will be filled with water.

4. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

So I take it you are toning your muscles?

Muscles weigh more than fat, I believe, so if you are building your muscles, gaining weight, but becoming smaller around your waist/thighs/arms/whatever, that is perfectly fine.

If your muscles are toning, but notice a gain in weight, don't worry. :] That's a good thing!

I have no idea about the water, the best people to ask about anything dealing with fitness and nutrition, would be Jeanie, Pam, and George (Swift strike) they are the people I talk to. They are pretty well rounded, I think. Each have strong and weak points.

5. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

muscle doesn't weigh more than fat - muscle is more dense than fat. a pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh a pound, but the fat will take up a lot more space.

Biz is right, muscle cells will become super-hydrated if you've been taking a lot of creatine.

6. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I don't know about all that other stuff, but you shouldn't be working out everyday. You should have at least one day of rest every week.