Strange, Far Places

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by ExpectantlyIronic, Sep 10, 2009.

1. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places." -H. P. Lovecraft

-source

So unfathomably huge things that warp space/time and exist outside the observable universe, may be yanking on stuff in the universe. Huh....

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009

2. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

Interesting. On the other hand, maybe it's God, or little green men pulling tricks on the silly Humans...

The point is, we can never know such things. Certainly not in our lifetimes, and maybe not even in the course of Humanity's existence. It would be interesting to find out, but who's to say our Universe will even exist in the time it would take to find something like that out? :dunno:

3. ExpectantlyIronic

I'd say we have no way of knowing if we're going to have a way of knowing. Who knows what developments will be made in science, and what new things will be discovered?

4. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

That's true. We have no way of knowing if we have any way of knowing about any way of knowing anything....

:dazed:

That's some real quantum shit. :shake:

It'd be interesting as hell to know though. :hmm:

5. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Should these little monkeys be pondering over such things!

Thats some pretty interesting stuff but all it does is add to the mystery of what is out there, our place and even our universes place within it. Sometimes those monkeys impress me.

6. Nick-Aotmzgin

Nick-Aotmzgin Registered Member

Not just the speculation is that in 8-10 years from now (and its in progress) we will establish life on space buildings pipe and electric foundation etc...\
    Nasa posted couple of interesting videos on the Nasa offical website presenting the progress and the space shuttles exploreing the environment in space, i am sure and convinced that there is a new civilization in space and much more advanced and complicated technology and structers!

7. ExpectantlyIronic

As a follow-up on my OP, I recently read an article in Discover Magazine which talked about the possibility of two universes colliding. Apparently, the math says that if it were to happen, the universe with the smaller gravitational constant (or some physical constant, I forget precisely which) would obliterate--or at least severely maim--the other. Furthermore, the math says that if our universe were to get the short straw of such a clash, the other universe would appear as a reflective wall bearing down on us until our unfortunate demise. It also mentioned that a collision that occurred long ago when our universe was young could potentially account for an anomaly observed in the cosmic microwave background radiation (which allows us to 'see' the early universe, jsyk).

In any case, there's no reason right now to have any confidence that there even are other universes, but the idea seems to be gaining some traction as a result of various observations, calculations, and whatnot. Either way, I find this all pretty fascinating.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  8. Gevok

Gevok Registered Member

There's more worlds out there other than Our galaxy, and even in our universe, maybe we don't know it; but our universe could only be a spec in the dust compared to all the other worlds.