Straight Edge

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by The Abyss, Oct 7, 2006.

1. The Abyss

The Abyss Guest

I am going to be a straight edge. No weed, no tobacco, no alchohal. I think it will not only help me live longer, it will help you get out of pressure situations.

Whats your opinion on this issue and are you it?

2. Dr. Fresh

Dr. Fresh Mmmm.... Lesbians.

I'm going to be a straight edge as well. I think it's a great thing and it really tells a lot about the kind of person you are. If you're a straight edge, then you have great control over yourself and knowing your limits, etc. It's going to be hard, but it'll pay off in the end. Maybe I'll drink occassionaly on special occassions, but that's all. I don't know, because I've never drank, so yeah.

3. Kos4Evr

Kos4Evr Registered Member

Well I don't smoke, don't do drugs and rarely if ever drink. I think its good to put all of those things aside and live clean and healthy. The hard part will be when your friends try to get you to do them or when they just do them around you without pressuring you.

4. Blur

Blur iPimp

I believe in drinking on the weekends and smoking weed on occasion with friends...as long as you're in control of your habbits (like you aren't an alcoholic or addicted to weed *cough*) then everything's fine. It adds flavor to life.

5. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

If it doesn't cause harmful effects, I don't see any reason not to. Occasional drinking for example does not cause harmful effects, because it gives your body time to recover. Same goes for weed... using it occasionally has not been shown to have any long term effects. If it's not harmful, and it's fun, I say go for it... make life a little more interesting.

6. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

There's nothing wrong with drinking alchohol in moderation, provided you're old enough to handle it. No, that doesn't mean I'm saying you can't drink responsibly until you're 21 either. I've always thought that if a man is old enough to carry a machine gun and die for his country (18) then he should be old enough to have a drink. If you want to be straight edged and abstain from using drugs and alchohol, then more power to you. I wish you luck.

Hoosier.

7. The Abyss

The Abyss Guest

1) opinion; to each his/her own.
    2) how is smoking something that could give you cancer fun?
    3) YOU SMOKING A PLANT SOUNDS PRETTY DUMB
    4) opinion; to each his/her own

8. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

What are you, 4? Please lay off the insults, especially those in all caps, they make you look stupid.

I'm in agreement with Hoosier. If we allow young men rifles and ammunition, they be allowed to have a drink. Straight-edge is nothing wrong, but it is strange by social norms. I'm not bashing it, but it seems rare these days to come across a young man/woman who's 100% straight-edge that isn't Amish.

I think you made a bit of an exaggerated assumption there. You don't have to be straight-edge to know your limits or to have self-control. By saying that, you are basically saying that anyone who's ever drank, smoked, or gotten high has no control. I'm also curious as to how it will "pay off in the end."

9. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

Perhaps blur should have said it adds flavor to his life to be more concise, but I think most of us understood he wasn't suggesting it did the same for everyone. I should also point out that the jury still isn't in on whether or not smoking marijuana causes Cancer. The experts just don't know yet.

As far as your comment about it being 'dumb' to smoke a plant, that might be true. However, it's certainly no more dumb than eating the high amounts of refined sugar found in candy and gum, yet both provide individuals with an unecessary pleasure. There are many things we take into our bodies that I would say doing so isn't the brightest thing to do. Excess salt, monosodium glutamate, dextrose, are all unecessary and potentially harmful, just to name a few.

Hoosier.

10. Blur

Blur iPimp

Yes, it's MY opinion. Isn't that what the thread warrents? MY view on it? In MY mind, it does add flavor. It gives me a chance to either act extremely stupid and goof off, or get super relaxed if I ever just wanted to sit back for a while and take a bird's eye view on life. Yes, smoking a plant....not that unusual, MANY people do it, in MANY different cultures...looking at the USA we're pretty normal compared to say India in which I'm sure there is 100x more smoking of plants, among "other" things. Cancer? Maybe. But if I only live to 65 or 70 it wouldn't bother me...I'd have had fun in my life, and besides...who wants to be 90 years old anyway? It would kinda suck balls...