Stopping Hiccups

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
How do you stop your hiccups? Is there any solution that works all the time for you? I've tried drinking water, holding breath, or having someone scare me :lol:. Sometimes I do all these and I still hic, hic, hic...perhaps they're just supposed to go on their own without us having to do anything.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wow I haven't had hiccups forever. I guess the way I get rid of them is by chugging water. Just drink some water as fast as you possibly can. Maybe you already tried that though, judging by your post.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
Well a real scare does work to stop it. It's the intake of a sharp breath unexpectedly that stops the hiccuping.
I find also drinking water from the opposite rim of the glass to help - you're trying to gulp water in the wrong way and while you're doing that you're gulping air in.
Holding the breath helps sometimes but I'm not sure how it works.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
It works for me when I drink water, when I don't. It just goes away. I hate hiccups when I have a head splitting headache.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I never heard of that ysabel but I can't see how it would work. At least not scientifically.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I find also drinking water from the opposite rim of the glass to help - you're trying to gulp water in the wrong way and while you're doing that you're gulping air in...
Won't that spill the drink on you? Or I'm imagining it incorrectly.... :lol:

A method that works for me 100% of the time is to get a full glass of water, take a big deep breath, and start drinking the water without exhaling. I can usually make it halfway though the glass before I need to exhale. I then repeat to finish the glass. It gets rid of my hiccups every time without fail.