• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Stolen rental has woman facing $47K bill

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
What started as a fun getaway weekend has turned into a financial nightmare for a Dartmouth, N.S., woman who's now facing a huge bill she can't afford to pay.

Stolen Enterprise rental Mustang has woman facing $47K bill - Nova Scotia - CBC News
I think this is BS, she turned the car in and did what she was suppose to do and it was stolen. Now Enterprise is trying to make her pay for the car. I wouldn't pay for it and I would have my card number changed so they couldn't put it on my account.

What are your thoughts about this?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I don't know if anyone else has had to deal with Enterprise but they are not a very well organized company. For example: I've had two rentals that I've dropped off at two different drop points on days they were closed. None of them had a drop box, none of them answered their numbers, and both times I was charged an extra day because they couldn't process the paperwork for the vehicle return. I tried their customer service to no avail.

They're not a pleasant company to work with. I feel sorry for this lady as she clearly was charged unfairly.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
After reading this and your story Doc if I ever have reason to rent a car there is no way I'm renting one from them. Even if this woman gets out of paying for the car can you imagine the stress it has her under worrying about this. I wonder if she can sue for mental anguish. It would serve them right if she could.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I think she deserves every dime she can get from them for this abuse.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
That is ridiculous. I don't really understand how this can even happen. Doesn't car rental companies have insurance there? Or do rentals go on the drivers insurance? You can't rent a car here without the rate including either super or standard cover. Even with standard cover, your excess in case of an accident or theft is about 10% of the vehicle cost. Super cover brings it down to 2%. So even if your rental vehicle gets stolen while in your hands, you wouldn't be expected to foot the full bill. Wow

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This wasn't even in her hands when it was stolen. She had turned it in and put the keys in the drop box which is all they require you to do. It was stolen from them not her so I don't see how they can expect her to pay for it or her insurance even cover it. Its not her fault they have no one there on Sundays.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
This wasn't even in her hands when it was stolen. She had turned it in and put the keys in the drop box which is all they require you to do. It was stolen from them not her so I don't see how they can expect her to pay for it or her insurance even cover it. Its not her fault they have no one there on Sundays.
I completely agree. This is why it's even more ridiculous. I'm just trying to understand how it works there though. Are you saying if someone is in possession of a rental vehicle and it gets stolen, the renter would normally have to get their own personal insurance to cover that cost? That does my head in. Surely it can't work like that?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I completely agree. This is why it's even more ridiculous. I'm just trying to understand how it works there though. Are you saying if someone is in possession of a rental vehicle and it gets stolen, the renter would normally have to get their own personal insurance to cover that cost? That does my head in. Surely it can't work like that?
You have to have your own insurance as long as its in your possession. I'm not 100% sure you can get it from the rental company but I think you can if you don't already have insurance on your personal car that will cover a rental.

dDave

V.I.P.
My experience with Enterprise has been ok but I wouldn't say great.

My mom and I rented a Mazda 6 to drive out to Chicago in September. We had to call a bunch of phone numbers and had to eventually get special permission from a supervisor to leave the car at a certain location after the local manager was a complete jerk about it.

I think liability for the car should end once you drop off the keys. This woman should refuse to pay.