Stock Market Falls After Obama Win

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

2. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Ah crap, there goes my 401k.

3. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Does the stock market normally go up after an election concludes? (Yes, legitimate question here)

4. Gavik

Gavik Registered Member

In all seriousness, what doesn't scare wall street investors into selling everything?

5. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

You have to take that with a grain of salt, though, as nowadays if a rat runs across the wall street floor the Dow drops 500 points.

6. Millz

That's why I'm asking, is this normal or a rare occurance? If this happens sometimes then who cares, the economy sucks, Obama hasnt done anything yet.

7. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

I think its pretty normal. Considering its been on a roller coaster run the whole month of October.

I found this interesting and it is true people will be blaming the recession on him if he doesn't establish that it could be a tough road ahead.

McCain would have had to do the same thing as him if he was elected.

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/article/106822/President-Obama%27s-First-Step-Reset-Expectations?tickers=^dji,^gspc,^ixic

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

So much for this theory: "Mark my words here and now... if Obama wins, the day after he is voted in (November 5th), I guarantee the economy will suddenly be better. It's media bias, they'll want him to look good. - pro2a"

Either way, it can be spun to make it reflect badly on Obama. If it's bad, it's because he didn't inspire enough confidence. If it's good, it's simply because media wants to look it that way since they're biased.

Jeanie, wooly and Swiftstrike like this.
  9. Millz

I bet if McCain was elected President the same damn thing would have happened. I'm just sayin.

10. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

yeah one day does not make a trend. Today is not as important as what the next 6 months looks like. In general I think the market is not going to be kind to Obama, but we can wait on policy decisions to see. There will be Obama stocks however. FCEL comes to mind as a company that cleans coal emissions. Various solar and tidal stocks will perform well. Gold has probably bottomed and gold and silver stocks are very attractive right now. If I was going to go anywhere right now, it would be gold.