Stimulus passes House 244-188

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Kazmarov, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

No Republicans voted on the measure, despite courting by the President- though in Obama's meeting with them it was established that ideological differences would make this no surprise.

House passes Stimulus without GOP help

2. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Great way to waste more money. It didn't work the last time, it's not going to work now. It's like squirting lighter fluid on amber coals. You'll get a flame for a bit, then it will die again.

If you want to see the economy boom, lower the income tax, get rid of the capital gains tax and cut Government spending. It's really not that hard. :rolleyes:

I am happy to see that the Republicans grew a spine and voted against this. When it fails (again) the blood wont be on their hands.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

As if our national debt wasn't high enough. Here we go again, spending money we don't have.

I have a feeling this is just the beginning of our economic troubles.

4. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

People are tuned out right now. This is a great time to spend an extra trillion on who knows what?!? Most of this spending won't come online for years. Its got to go before the Senate and I think the American public will wake up when it hits the Senate. I write and call my Senators and I plan on melting the phones over this one. America stopped the amnesty bill and that had overwhelming support in the Senate.

5. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

While I agree that the stimulus checks given out to individual people don't really have an effect, however, government spending on necessary things is good for the economy, even if it is deficit spending. As long as the money is spent in America on American goods and services, it can have a positive effect.

All that said, as the bill was written, I really don't blame Republicans for voting against it. There was a bunch of stuff in there that was just was just completely worthless. Here's my FAVORITE:

Michelle Malkin Stimulus stupidity alert: $75 million for smoking cessation

Fuck you, Nancy Pelosi.

MenInTights likes this.
  6. MenInTights

Thank you Stab-O! If in 4 years Obama is out and a conservative is in power, I'm not going to support their "emergency stimulus" packed full of stuff that I probably agree with either. It's good to see people that realize this is a lot bigger than Obama.

About the actual stimulus package. This is the best idea I've ever read. Adopting something similar to this would make Obama the most popular President in 100 years:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123318906638926749.html

7. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Or you could do a Keynesian stimulus, raise taxes, and enjoy the longest peacetime economic expansion in human history in the 1990's.

Let's see what all those people we cut taxes for six years ago did with their money:

Oh yeah! They put it mortgage securities and undermined the whole financial system. Or they kept it for themselves. Because cutting taxes and reducing regulations will of course create healthy markets.

/uber sarcasm
    ------
    Clinton did a stimulus in '93 in the face of a big defecit left by his predecessor, and within five years the budget was balanced, something no Republican in 25 years has come close to doing.

[​IMG]

Nobody ever, ever mentions the national debt unless it's to score political brownie points. I'd rather spend a trillion dollars on the American people than on getting them and civilians killed in a Middle Eastern hellhole.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  8. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I think the Democrats need to play some tit-for-tat here and not jack up the cost of the bill more by adding the stuff the GOP is asking for without public promises by a few Senators that they'll sign it. The entire Republican party has apparently decided to play a Ron Paul, and ask for changes to a bill, and then not vote on it when it happens. That shit annoys me.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  9. MenInTights

This isn't just Republicans.

Democrats that voted against it:
    Boyd - Florida
    Bright - Alabama
    Cooper - Tennessee
    Ellsworth - Indiana
    Griffith - Alabama
    Kanjorski - PA
    Kratovil - Maryland
    Minnick - Idaho
    Peterson - Minnesota
    Shuler - North Carolina
    Taylor - Mississippi

You can't discount these guys. That's a brave move to oppose Pelosi and Obama right now. Being a Republican is easy. These 11 guys are really laying it on the line.

10. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

Arguably, though, they're not, considering that nearly all of those representatives come from states that usually vote Republican. They'd probably be in more trouble if they did vote for the package.

I do really wish, however, that legislation wouldn't fall right down the party lines like this. I'd prefer representatives to vote based on their own beliefs on what is best rather than just go with the rest of the party. That's politics, though.