• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Still no significant moves for Anthopoulos

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's about a month or so till Spring Training starts and Anthopoulos still hasn't made a significant move yet. What are your thoughts about that?

Last season, the Blue Jays were odds on favourite to win the World Series. For the most part, they have the same roster. They lost Josh Johnson, Rajaj Davis, JP Arencibia. Do you think AA believes that the same roster can compete for a World Series next season or you think he just doesn't want to spend the money?

BadNewsJays

I'm pretty fucking petrified. This team will be roasted with their starting rotation, and just taking JPA out of the lineup doesn't do much other than reduce the amounts of strikeouts. Who knows, maybe they want to give the #DreamTeam another shot at success, and try to prove last year was a fluke. If they fail again, AA and Gibby's ass WILL be on the line.

SoberJaysFan

I'd say getting rid of JP was a pretty significant move (addition by subtraction). I also think the Kawasaki signing was a significant move (but I know I am certainly in the minority on that one! hahaha).

It all comes down to starting pitching. Four members of the 2013 opening day rotation will be the same: Dickey, Buehrle, Morrow and Happ. All four are question marks. Hopefully Dickey can pitch like he did at the end of the season for an entire season this year. Buehrle is Buehrle. And Morrow.... fuck. Morrow scares me. I honestly thought he would be our best pitcher last year. This year I have zero expectations. I know he can be great if he stays healthy, but that's the problem... he doesn't stay healthy.

Obviously a back-end of the rotation with Redmond and Happ is not going to cut it. Those guys are great depth pieces but not starting pitchers on a playoff baseball team.

We need one great starting pitcher. That's it. If AA gets us one great starting pitcher (Tanaka??), then he's done his job in my opinion. If he doesn't, then fuck him. The Jays will suck again and AA will need to go.

To be honest, I was so disappointed with last season that I just don't have any expectations whatsoever for this Jays team. Every time we think they're gonna finally do great, they stink up the joint. It's frustrating because we have the offense to compete but the starting rotation has been as inconsistent as it can get last season. I'm just hoping that AA will somehow find a way to improve that starting rotation and find a suitable starter to help them out. To me, it's do or die for AA. If they're out of the race by mid-season, I'm almost sure he's getting fired before the season ends.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
According to Ken Rosenthal, the Blue Jays are the front runners for Jiminez or Santana.

The Blue Jays, quiet for much of the offseason, still figure to acquire one and possibly two starting pitchers once the logjam caused by Tanaka starts to resolve.

The Jays are a leading candidate to sign either Santana or Jimenez; they have two protected first-round picks, Nos. 9 and 11, and would sacrifice only a second-rounder and the accompanying pool money for one of those free-agent right-handers.

The team also remains involved in trade discussions for Samardzija and other starting pitchers; a rotation of, say, Santana, Samardzija, R.A. Dickey, Mark Buehrle and Brandon Morrow would be much more formidable than they Jays had last season.

Then again, if the Cubs cannot sign Samardzija to an extension, the Jays probably could not, either. Indeed, the Jays need not rush into anything. Samardzija still might be available in spring training or July. And other possibilities could arise; some team is bound to disappoint and trade off veterans, the way the White Sox did with Jake Peavy last season.

The Phillies' Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels both could be available before July 31, and the same goes for the Reds' Homer Bailey, Indians' Justin Masterson, Pirates' Francisco Liriano and Royals’ James Shields if their respective clubs somehow fall out of contention.

The Jays need to weigh the current price for Samardzija against what it will take to acquire other starters in spring training or after the season begins. The longer they wait, the better they can assess their prospects as well.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/los- ... out-010414

Personally, I don't want Samardzija, I think he'll get owned in the AL East. Not to sure about Jiminez either. Don't know which one we'll get - the dominant Jiminez or the one that stinks up the joint with an ERA over 5.

Also, never thought that Santana was anything special. I don't believe he would improve the starting rotation.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
No one knows if he's actually planning on signing anyone, but I have no issue with him being patient right now. Almost every pitcher that is on the Free Agent market is still available. I don't want Anthopolous to sign one of them for the sake of making a move. I want him to look at every option and see who's the best fit. Not much to brag about regarding what's left regarding pitching but if he can get someone at a decent price I'll be happy.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
Bizzy said:
There's about a month or so till Spring Training starts and Anthopoulos still hasn't made a significant move yet. What are your thoughts about that?

Last season, the Blue Jays were odds on favourite to win the World Series. For the most part, they have the same roster. They lost Josh Johnson, Rajaj Davis, JP Arencibia. Do you think AA believes that the same roster can compete for a World Series next season or you think he just doesn't want to spend the money?
If he doesn't make some big moves and soon this could be a long season for the Jays.

JayOnJays

One of my co-writers posted an interesting story the other day about how there haven't been many player moves, but there have been numerous coaching changes on the Jays. We've talked about it on Twitter here and there, but David goes a bit deeper. We're so quick to blame coaches as we saw so many pink hat Jays fans crooning for "FIRE GIBBONS," but the big defense for not firing him was he doesn't play the game. David points out that the new coaching staff is more in tune with Gibbons, something Gibby didn't have last season. http://jaysjournal.com/2014/01/03/toron ... hot-stove/

It seems AA and Gibby are tied to the hip now. It's ironic because here I am, agreeing with "coaches don't play the game," but I really believe that these coaching changes will highly impact the team. Gone is swing-for-the-fence Murphy and we never really got to know what Mottola was. All we do know about him is that several players were fans of his methods. Now there's spray ball hitting Seitzer. Hentgen had to step down and enter Bob Stanley. We saw what coaching changes and minor additions did for the Boston Red Sox this past season. You can even throw the Pirates into that mix of quiet additions, like bringing up Gerrit Cole and acquiring Justin Morneau for peanuts. So you have to ask yourself, how far off are the Jays really? Ewan Ross' came out with an article on BJ+ based off WAR. We improved in our weakest areas, maybe not huge difference making moves, but enough. Let me put it this way, we're not going to lose much in terms of production by putting Goins at 2B, but we're going to be much improved defensively. At catcher, we're not much improved defensively, but offensively, Navarro is a big upgrade over JPA. Also, there's NO WAY Toronto gets off to the same kind of April start as last season. I believe there's a change in approach. Dickey should come in healthier, hopefully Buehrle is still Buehrle, and if Morrow and any of the young arms... or if possibly Romero comes back from the depths of pitching hell... this team competes. I don't know if they're WS bound... but they could be playoff bound. Even more so if they can sign 1 DECENT arm. Jimenez would be my choice, even with those trainwreck mechanics. It beats watching Santana give up so many bombs, you'd think you were watching a war movie.

Panic? Don't panic? Fire AA? Fire everybody? Blow shit up? Sit back and be patient? What's Blue Jay nation thinking right now?

Sherlander

I don't understand freaking out about the lack of moves. What did people really think was going to happen? Another Miami splash? The main roster was set last year. AA isn't going to blow it up because of all the injuries. Bautista, EE, Reyes, Lawrie, Colby, Melky, Dickey, Morrow, Buehrle are all still here. The bullpen hasn't been touched. They actually have depth this season. I don't understand all the panicking this off-season. Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong in 2013. I don't see why people were thinking the roster would be blown up and all the free agents would suddenly be signed.