Hoosier_Daddy

Registered Member
First let me preface this message by again welcoming all of the new members who are so willing to contribute to the discussions here in the mature section. That being said, it's come to my attention that there are a few members who have either not read the original sticky in this section, or are just plain ignoring what's been written there. The key word in the title of this section is mature . That means not only the topics themselves are of a mature nature, the expectations for the members posting in it are for mature individuals to post. No, this doesn't place a restriction on the age someone has to be to participate, rather it means that whatever age you are I expect you to act like an adult when you post.

In the past few days there have been some posts here that have forced me to compose this one. I'm not a baby sitter and have no inclination to watch over a bunch of grown men and women with the maturity level of a 10 year old child. Therefore, it's simple for me to make this admonishment to all of you. If you can't discuss your ideas and philosophies like ladies and gentlemen, then don't post. This forum would be better served if you simply left if you can't comply. I don't want to see any more name calling, insults direct or veiled, or outright abusive posts. We'll send you a warning in a PM for the first offense along with a brief edit in the post in question. Upon the second offense your account will be suspended until such a time as the mods and admins determine you're ready to comply and begin posting again. If you decide to cross that line for a third time, your account will be deleted immediately.

Folks, it's not all that hard to show a little respect for your fellow forum members. If you disagree with someone, then by all means say so, but you don't have to insult them for having an opinion contrary to your own. Should you find yourself at an impass with another member over a topic just agree to disagree and move on instead of denigrating the entire thread into a pissing contest between two over zealous individuals. If that doesn't work for you then take your argument to the PM system so we all don't have to sift through the nonsense to try to find substance in your posts. In closing let me just ask all of you to work with us here. We enjoy reading what you have to say and really don't want to have to chase anyone away. If you have any questions or suggestions you can post them here or send me a PM and we'll discuss them.

Best Regards,

Hoosier,

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I agree with all that you say, Hoosier, but this isn't going to happen overnight. We can't just expect everyone to act like adults. Yes it is mature discussion and by the very definition of the forum people should realize that they are to meet a certain level of maturity when posting.

Now it's no mystery who you're targeting with this topic, we have had quite a few new users here, a lot from one forum in particular. The forum they come from is a full-fledged community, where everyone seems to have a good idea of the others and how they act. Our forums are new and we are striving for a good community of folks who understand one another.

For example, a lot of people probably think I'm a dick if they've just come on to this forum and read some of the posts I've made to others involving spam and flaming. However, those of you on the forum who have actually taken time out of your day to talk to me or actually know me know that I'm a nice guy. I'm calm most of the time and I'm old-fashioned when it comes to a lot of things (dating for lack of a better example).

The way I see it, is that the new crowd here meeting the users of FC can be seen with a simple analogy, a party. One group is throwing a party (or having a 'social gathering', whatever tickles your verbal fancy) and another group gets invited. They don't know anyone from this group that invited them. Obviously, upon their arrival, there is a tad bit of awkward moments because of this first time meeting. The group that's throwing the party is not used to the other group members and tension rises. I think however, in the end, once they thrown this petty crap out of the way, the party will kick a whole lot more ass.

In a nutshell, they're new, they're from a different community, and first impressions don't mean everything.

S

Snarflax

That's an awesome analogy. I do formally apologize to those that I have offended with my "over the top" mannerisms. Perhaps I've been a little brash with my language but I don't think that lowers any of my arguments even close to the "moronic" level. I'm used to people expecting the snide, sarcastic remarks when I argue with others. It's taking me a little bit of time to get ahold of that side of me, but it's coming full circle. I tryed PM'ing you last night Hoosier, but you wouldn't answer :( I talked to Italiano and Blur and I think I'll [eventually] fit in here.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Snarflax said:
That's an awesome analogy. I do formally apologize to those that I have offended with my "over the top" mannerisms. Perhaps I've been a little brash with my language but I don't think that lowers any of my arguments even close to the "moronic" level. I'm used to people expecting the snide, sarcastic remarks when I argue with others. It's taking me a little bit of time to get ahold of that side of me, but it's coming full circle. I tryed PM'ing you last night Hoosier, but you wouldn't answer :( I talked to Italiano and Blur and I think I'll [eventually] fit in here.
This is proof of my point exactly. I don't disagree with mature discussion staying mature, but like I said Hoosier, they simply come from another forum where they are already comfortable.

I also agree with you on this Hoosier, and I agree with Merc too. I'd like to add though, that while other people from other groups will continue to join us, and we will continue to evolve and adapt, we should remember the things that make this forum Fusion Central, and not just a newer knockoff of other forums. People will come here who expect what they're used to, and they have to learn that perhaps we're different, so they should learn how we work.

SenatorB said:
I also agree with you on this Hoosier, and I agree with Merc too. I'd like to add though, that while other people from other groups will continue to join us, and we will continue to evolve and adapt, we should remember the things that make this forum Fusion Central, and not just a newer knockoff of other forums. People will come here who expect what they're used to, and they have to learn that perhaps we're different, so they should learn how we work.
I like that right there. But let me also say that perhaps if all these people from different places brought a little touch from where they came from, well we would be one hell of an interesting place! So guys, we arent saying totally abort how you function at your other forums, but just realize that we arent your other forums and we function differently, so please try to adapt (while remaining how you are as much as possible without offending people here). :)

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

Seems like a good idea, but I also dont see how using curse words in the MD section is bad.

They're not bad, so long as they're used for emphasis. If they're used all over the place without any real purpose, they lose their emphasis and merely become vulgarities which cheapen the discussion.

J

Jungle Jim

I don't seen how cursing can add emphasis, especially if we're in a "Mature Discussion" thread. You should be able to express your emotions better then resulting to the use of four letter words. If it takes cuss words to emphasize your points, then its probably a post you shouldnt be making.