Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will rape my inner child?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
This thread was sparked from the "What makes you angry?" thread where Mare and I exchanged a few posts about jokes and how far they can go.

The question is simple: Is there such thing as joking that shouldn't be allowed or goes too far?

I ask this question because I'm more on the side that believes that jokes can go too far, but only when we're talking seriously out of line like a guy who walks down the cancer ward telling cancer jokes to all the terminal patients. That's just asking for a beating.

Mare was more on the side that believe that people need to be more sensitive and argued that people are lacking in their jokes and instead resorting to jokes that are "wrong" such as those about the physically handicapped, ugliness, and ethnicity. I won't say anything else on her behalf, I'll let her say what she wants though.

So what do you think? I personally think people are too sensitive these days. With all this politically correct propaganda around these days, it just strikes me as a feeble attempt to add a filter to the freedom of speech. Can words hurt people? Yes. Do we really need to limit humor so much to save the several dozen people (exaggerated number obviously, don't go all crazy on me) who suffer serious mental damage from insulting?

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
Theres nothing wrong with a good joke or some harmless banter but I think people need to be more considerate before they open their mouth. Too many people these days are more than happy to insult people without thinking about others.

Don't get me wrong I love banter and jokes but what people must remember is how would it make you feel if the roles were reversed and someone said it to you.

pikachu1

Registered Member
I think too many people are stuck up and can't take a good joke just because it has to do with their race or religion. If you are truly proud of your race or religion then a joke about the laziness or prudeness or whatever shouldn't get to you. I know alot of people who try to censor their jokes so as not to offend those around them who then find out later that those people wouldn't have cared that their group was made fun of in that joke because they know some of that stuff is true so it makes it funnier.

Corona

Registered Member
I think people are far too sensitive these days. People's opinions are worthless, because they are usually based on the immaterial, which is other peoples opinions. Toughen up and get over it.

skye

Registered Member
Yeah but some people do take things too far...telling a joke about someone dying from a car accident while at the funeral of someone who died in a car accident just isn't funny & I doubt anyone normal WOULD find it funny. Just like telling dead baby jokes to someone who has just lost a child would not be funny.

People need to re-learn a little tact. Know your audience & when in doubt, don't!

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Yeah but some people do take things too far...telling a joke about someone dying from a car accident while at the funeral of someone who died in a car accident just isn't funny & I doubt anyone normal WOULD find it funny. Just like telling dead baby jokes to someone who has just lost a child would not be funny.

People need to re-learn a little tact. Know your audience & when in doubt, don't!
See, I agree with that. My little rant here was more aimed at the super-softies out there who think that words are like bullets.

People, the truth is that we give words all the power they have. A child who grows up learning the sticks and stones dichotomy will be a much better person. Unfortunately, we're still silly enough to think words have power beyond what we give them.

Nosferatu_Alucard

Undead Intellectual
People are way too sensitive today. We're all a bunch of pansies. We need to suck it up and take a fucking joke.

Resistance towards the propaganda only adds more stress and anxiety to society. If anything, we could all use a good laugh to loosen up (no anal joke intended; not yet at least).

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's easy to say that people are soft Nos, because words can be harmful. The real problem is thinking that language needs to be filtered because of this.

Nosferatu_Alucard

Undead Intellectual
There is no need to try and protect us of it. It's only buttering us up only to sting that much more when we come to reality with it. You cannot completely protect someone from the mal effects of language.