Movies Steve Martin

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Babe_Ruth, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Me and a few buddies were talking about Steve Martin the other day. We were saying that the guy is naturally funny, and it's easy for him to make people laugh. We also discussed some of his great movies like Planes, Trains and Automobiles, and saying that he never gets annoying to watch, till this day he's still funny.

What are your thoughts on Steve Martin?

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I kinda lump Steve Martin into the same Category as "Mr. Bean". I just dont get that kind of comedy I guess. Martin has had some good movies dont get me wrong. But I wouldnt say that he's one of the best comedic actors I've ever seen. But then again thats just my personal taste, I know there are alot of people who absolutely adore the guy.

3. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I don't adore the guy, there are funnier people. I did like him in The Three Amigos and Father of the Bride though.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Wow! Putting him in the same category as Mr. Bean is a slap in the face in my opinion. Mr. Bean is god awful, I've never laugh at anything he has done. He's boring. But to each is own like you say.

I loved him in Father of the Bride and Three Amigos, him and Martin Short make a great duo. But not as good as him and Tom Candy in Planes, Trains and Automobiles, man where they ever so funny in that great movie.

5. AwkwardlyYours

AwkwardlyYours Registered Member

Steve Martin's my dad... so you know. I've got to love him.

Of course if you mean the comedian Steve Martin, I'd have to say he's okay sometimes. He's hit or miss. He has the ability to be funny but there are some movies he's just retarded.

6. DLFerguson

DLFerguson Registered Member

My favorite Steve Martin movie: THE JERK.

Other movies he's made that are well worth checking out if you haven't already:

PENNIES FROM HEAVEN
    THREE AMIGOS
    ROXANNE
    MY BLUE HEAVEN
    THE SPANISH PRISONER
    BRINGING DOWN THE HOUSE

And this is something that is really worth mentioning: check out the spy thriller TRAITOR starring Don Cheadle. The movie is based on a story written by Steve Martin.

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

His later stuff hasn't been that great. Father of the Bride is one of his better movies. The sequel was good too. Plains, Trains & Automobiles was Steve Martin at his best if you ask me. He also has a bunch of great stuff from his SNL guest appearances.

8. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I think he's great. I think he's done some awful films such as that one with Queen Latifah but he is very funny and talented.
    I first saw him in Little Shop of Horrors and he really scared me. I think he was where my fear of dentists came from.

Trains, Planes and Automobiles is one of my all time favourite films and so is The Man With Two Brains.
    I also liked Roxanne. A real life Pinocchio.

9. browneyes106

browneyes106 Registered Member

I like a lot of Steve's movies. I also think he does in well in drama roles.

10. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I have to agree with that assessment. lol

I like Steve Martin. He has had a few "miss" films, but I enjoy him for the most part. One of my favorites is Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.