• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Stereotypes drawn from anime

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I've been watching a lot of anime lately and I noticed some stereotypes (wonder how much is true characterisation of the Japanese) from some of the characters:

- firstly, big eyes =)
- their school uniforms are miniskirts (or some can wear different skirt length)
- girls walk behind boys even if there's just the two of them
- boys are better in the kitchen than girls
- girls are sloppy or neurotic, guys are clueless/dense
- there's always a pervert somewhere and girls have big boobs
- kamikaze syndrome (altho not dying literally, a lot of good characters tend to be too self-sacrificing)

Anyone noticed these trends or others in your shows?

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Pervy characters are the best :lol:

I've seen a lot of characters where you can't be sure of their gender; i think i got through 5 episodes of Hellsing before i realised SIR Integra was a woman.

Why do they do that? :headscratch:

Shwa

V.I.P.
They like to do a lot of mind f***s for the viewers, I would too. Watching the same thing over and over again with characters can be tedious.

I love how every character can drink alcohol and get tipsy off of one sip (ya know, the whole blushy face they get). They need to know how to hold their alcohol, lol.

~Shwa

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
Bathrooms are never locked. ENF abounds.
Group baths are the usual.
Loser becomes the Hero in the end. "I will never give up" is mandatory.

Last edited:

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Bad guys try to control the world with children's toys/cardgames :lol2:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Pervy characters are the best :lol:

I've seen a lot of characters where you can't be sure of their gender; i think i got through 5 episodes of Hellsing before i realised SIR Integra was a woman.

Why do they do that? :headscratch:
Or even when they establish it, like with Yuki (Fruits Basket), I still can't accept it because he looks like a girl and he has a girly voice.

SuiGeneris

blue 3
*All guys can eat 4x times their body weight every meal.
*All people have dislocatable jaws to enhance yelling.
*Normal hair colors are the exception

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
Yeah, I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of the 'big eyes' but you mostly just see it on adolescent girl characters for enhanced cuteness. I'm just glad they don't try drawing lips on everything. Especially in animations, lips look particularly bad.

Another would be the insanely huge weaponry. Like swords and etc. being x3 the size of the actual character.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Yeah, I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of the 'big eyes' but you mostly just see it on adolescent girl characters for enhanced cuteness.
The Japanese believe that the eyes are the window to the soul, that's why they are often so large. And as you pointed out young characters or children often have larger eyes. This is becuase they are seen to be more innocent than older characters.