• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Stereotypes about your home state

NellyBell

Registered Member
I recently came across a Buzzfeed article "Signs You're From North Carolina" and found myself laughing, sometimes because I agreed and sometimes because I thought they were ridiculous. What kind of stereotypes are there about the state you were born in and/or currently live in? How true do you find them?

Some of the ones about North Carolina:
- There are a lot of feelings about college basketball. True. Even people I know that don't care about college basketball at least have a team they root for (or against).
- Everyone loves Cheerwine. False. I do not love Cheerwine.
- Everyone has a favorite Nascar driver. False. I don't and know plenty of people who don't. Of course, being from a rural part, I know a lot of people who do.
- We still have beef with Ohio. True, I think. I know a couple of people who don't care about the battle of First in Flight/Birthplace of Aviation but the majority of people I know do.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm sure there are some good ones about Missouri. The cities and the rural areas are so ridiculously different which makes things a little interesting when it comes to this stuff. Half the state are pro-gun and farmers and the rest are city folk.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The best one about Canada is that we live in igloos all year round. Obviously, it is only for a couple of months of the year. ;)

Last edited:

Godsmirror

Registered Member
Arizona. We're all a bunch of dust-laden cowboys firing our guns in the air while on horseback.

I swear to goodness, some people from towns on the eastern seaboard, like Boston for instance, actually think this.

MissMe

Registered Member
I am from Louisiana so obviously we are a bunch of backwoods web footed racists! Really the stereotypes for my state are hilarious. We don't have alligators as pets, but after a big rain, they do sometimes end up in your backyard!

Impaired

Registered Member
I think Philadelphia has a bad rep, most undeserved, but Pennsylvania - you folks tell me. What do they say about the state?

IrishLass2247

Registered Member
I think Philadelphia has a bad rep, most undeserved, but Pennsylvania - you folks tell me. What do they say about the state?
I went to college in Northeast Pennsylvania and I can think of a big one for that area: heyna. Most of the locals in Northeast PA have a very interesting way of speaking, but the word "heyna" is the most notable. It roughly means "isn't it?" A sentence would look like this: "It's a bit chilly tonight, heyna?" My husbands family is from Northeast PA and they speak like this.

Carmelita

Registered Member
I'm from New Mexico. Once while ordering a part from NYC, the customer service rep informed me that they did not ship out of the country. I could not convince her that we were in the 50 states. I finally had to talk to her supervisor who luckily paid attention in her geography class. We finally got the part.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
I went to college in Northeast Pennsylvania and I can think of a big one for that area: heyna. Most of the locals in Northeast PA have a very interesting way of speaking, but the word "heyna" is the most notable. It roughly means "isn't it?" A sentence would look like this: "It's a bit chilly tonight, heyna?" My husbands family is from Northeast PA and they speak like this.
I'm assuming that the way they say "heyna?", they might say "ain't it?"

NellyBell

Registered Member
The best one about Canada is that we live in igloos all year round. Obviously, it is only for a couple of months of the year. ;)
Haha, obviously. There are some entertaining stereotypes about Canadians out there. I know you all have some about the US too. My husband's family is Canadian and they love bringing them up every time they visit. Although I think they believe most of them, which takes away the humor a little.