Stem cells can be trained to kill HIV

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
ScienceDaily (Dec. 9, 2009) — Researchers from the UCLA AIDS Institute and colleagues have for the first time demonstrated that human blood stem cells can be engineered into cells that can target and kill HIV-infected cells -- a process that potentially could be used against a range of chronic viral diseases.
Read the whole story here:

Stem cells can be engineered to kill HIV, scientists show

That's fucking awesome, score another one for stem cells.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I think this is great. Doing more and more stem cell research seems like a no brainer to me.
I agree, I've voted Yes on every Pro-Stem Cell bill thats come my way. I'm very Pro-stem cell research. Much like you said, its a no-brainer to further push our knowledge of what they can do, even if it means "playing god".

It seems like Stem Cells really are the answer for so many of our problems. i remember when this was a huge controversial issue like a decade ago. Hopefully this will provide more funding for the research, this is awesome to read.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
It seems like Stem Cells really are the answer for so many of our problems. i remember when this was a huge controversial issue like a decade ago. Hopefully this will provide more funding for the research, this is awesome to read.
That's because a lot of misinformed politicians like a certain guy with a name that sounds like Beorge Gush thought that allowing stem cell researching was going to lead to baby farms where fetuses were harvested for their cells.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Are these embryonic stem cells? Or adult ones? And if they are embryonic - could we have done the same thing with adult stem cells?

From what I've heard (albeit a while ago) basically all breakthroughs we've had were with adult stem cells.

While exciting news, it should be kept in mind at this stage the research is still a proof-of-concept experiment done in mice; it shows that the technique is feasible at successfully destroying the virus-infected cells, but is still not ready for the clinic.