Stem Cell Research

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Bubbles, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles I ♥ Haters

Why are some people opposed to stem cell research? Stem cell research is one of the most promising developments in the last century of medicine. I’m having a hard time understanding why some people would be against scientific advances such as this one. Okay, I understand the argument, that people aren’t against ‘Stem Cell Research’; they’re against the source from which stem cells are derived. But really, are you gonna get pregnant, just to have an abortion? Probably not. If you miscarry, you might as well put it to some use, that could help someone in the long run. A vast majority of fetuses are destroyed anyways. If you look at it realistically, a 3 day old human embryo is nothing more than a collection of 150 cells, it hasn’t developed into anything yet. It has no brain or heart or neurons, so I don’t get why some people consider it a “killing.” Hospitals discard fetuses anyways, why not put them to good use?

Feel free to crap all over my theory :)

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I've never understood it myself, especially since the results of stem cell research could potentially save lives. Isn't it "pro-life" to want to save existing lives?

3. fractal

fractal Eye see what you did ther

4. Jeanie

5. Diederick

Diederick Registered Member

Why not use brain-dead unborn babies as little stem-cell farms? I don't know whether this is possible at all, but I don't see a moral obligation to unborn, non-persons.

The objection is probably because of 'science' or to 'protect the children'.

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

There isn't a decent reason against it. The shitstorm started when Republicans and rumor outlets like Fox started bickering about "baby farms" or this idea that stem cell research was just a clever way of treating the unborn like veins of gold in a mineshaft. Truth be told, we all have stem cells. Some of the best stem cells are harvested from the umbilical cord actually. It was just another sensational attempt to prevent scientific progress.

7. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I can understand that there's pro life people out there that believe that it's wrong to go hopping around abortion clinics to get all of these fetus' and harvest them for stem cells. What I don't get is, why don't these scientists just get together with each other and make their own baby farms? If they're the ones doing the research, why not let it be their potential children?

I'm completely for stem cell research, I feel like the pro's vastly outweigh the cons on this issue and I think that most of the people against it are just those same people that are against abortion. But, I can also see how people would see this as playing god, but even then, we've basically been playing god for a long time now. So, why not? Let science evolve into its next form.

8. Jeanie

Most people whose babies have a fatal anomaly (anencephaly, chromosomal defects, etc) choose not to carry to term. Those who do, do so because they are extremely pro-life and probably would object to this. Not to mention that having a fetus who won't survive is devastating enough without enduring a procedure that would harvest the stem cells, if such a procedure is even possible.

Furthermore, embryonic stem cells (conception to the 8th week of gestation) are the cells that are most valuable, as they have the potential to develop into any type of cell in the human body. We all have stem cells in our bodies, but they are limited as to the type of cell that they can mature into. These are also important to research, however because of their potential, embryonic stem cells are far more beneficial.

Hiei likes this.
  9. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Right. Because you know those pesky Republicans - doing everything they can to make everyone suffer for absolutely no reason.

And for the record, the best stem cells (so far) are from adults. Maybe ones from unborn have more potential, but right now, adult stem cells have results.

10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Do you want a tissue? Prove me wrong.

Ones from unborn children are fresher and more plentiful but yes adults have them, too.