• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Steam Powered Games

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Does anyone else have games that were purchased through Steam? (They would be Valve titles since Valve ownes Steam. Half-Life/Counterstrike, etc).

http://www.steampowered.com

I wish more games used systems like that. It's incredibly convenient because you don't have to mess with CD's, and you can also redownload the game if you accidently delete it. With other games you have to find the CD and half the time you realize it's lost for good. Then you have to buy the game over again.

Anyway, I think Steam and similar systems are going to soon be the primary way to purchase PC games. Just think of all the money the companies would save if they didn't have to print boxes and make CD's each time. It's by far the best setup out there.

Wrecked

Registered Member
I used to play DoD all the time [ day of defeat ] and was even in a clan. When steam took over and DoD started to become popular, DoD started to slowly go down hill. And eventually i ended up quitting, cause I couldn't stand the community [ but i still keep in touch with my former clan mates ].

After DoD I started to play more Natural Selection, which is an awesome game that combines some Strategy [ game-type ] elements to the game. Found a good server with cool people who were regulars and not too long after, was asked to join the clan. Not too long after, many people started to abuse the "rates" function, which made the game less fun.

Steam has the right idea, but they still have some bugs to work out. It was a good idea to bind your games to your account so that when you want to reinstall, you just have to download it instead of finding the disc. Also IMO, $20 for each mod is way over the top when before steam was introduced mods were free.

Pianobone

Registered Member
I find Steam to be annoying as well. Haven't had a lot of experiences, but the little I have hasn't been great. I think the concept is good, but their execution is a little flawed.

LaRazaUnida

Registered Member
I have HLF2/CS

I really enjoy steam, but its probably because I am only a casual gamer and just get on to play a few matches for a couple of hours. I think that they keep it clean and easy.

dk_rare

Registered Member
Steam powered, they couldn't of picked a better name for it. It certainly feels like it is steam powered when you do it on dial up, they don't even question if you want to update before making you download. They said it shouldn't of even be possible on dial up... they were right!

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I suppose some things can be annoying about it, but the main thing I like is that you don't have to put CD's in to play games from it.

dk_rare

Registered Member
I have to put the cd in for very few games I play anyway ^_^

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dDave Video Games 1
Crouton Video Games 0
Crouton Video Games 6
sunrise Video Games 2
Iris Video Games 0