• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Steak & lobster on food stamps

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Like any system built with good intentions or with the idea of helping those who need it, someone is going to abuse it. That's why he's facing such heavy fines and jail time.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
The story of that guy sucks, and he's part of the problem for the majority of people on food stamps that are honest and truly need assistance. He deserves the fines and jail time, as do any that scam the system in such a blatant way.

I hope this doesn't turn into a myth-ridden thread about how so many on benefits are somehow scamming the system. It's funny when you flip it around, people still worship Wall Street despite the atrocities that happened there, and on a much larger scale when it comes to having an impact on hard-working taxpayers.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
@ Merc: I think he should have to pay back all benefits received and become ineligible for life. Jail just means we have to support his lazy ass that much more.

@ Jeanie: that is not misleading at all if you read the article.

@ Your Highness: You and I understand that those that really need assistance are getting screwed by jackasses like this. My wife tells me all the time about her clients and the hoops they have to jump through to get the funding they need and deserve.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wow, what a crazy story. Part of me doesn't blame him though haha. I mean I'm sure a lot of people are tempted to do what this guy did. Doesn't make it right though.

I agree he should have to pay it all back and pay a fine. He's definitely ruining this for people who are using them in the correct fashion.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
@ Merc: I think he should have to pay back all benefits received and become ineligible for life. Jail just means we have to support his lazy ass that much more.

@ Your Highness: You and I understand that those that really need assistance are getting screwed by jackasses like this. My wife tells me all the time about her clients and the hoops they have to jump through to get the funding they need and deserve.
lol you're serious about this Your Highness thing aren't you? :lol:

Yeah, your wife is right...programs that low-income individuals and families may need, such as food stamps, Medicaid, etc., are not necessarily easy to get into...jumping through hoops is the perfect term for it. Lots of red tape (which can be a good way to prevent fraud that's already in place).

I'm not sure if I'm necessarily opposed to jail time, I'm definitely for repaying what he spent, and as far as being ineligible for food stamps for life I totally agree with that. Makes sense.

Wow, what a crazy story. Part of me doesn't blame him though haha. I mean I'm sure a lot of people are tempted to do what this guy did. Doesn't make it right though.

I agree he should have to pay it all back and pay a fine. He's definitely ruining this for people who are using them in the correct fashion.
Good point with your last sentence, Millz. The honest people (I think the majority) that are receiving benefits of this type are doing things the right way; people like this just don't help when it comes to fighting that social stigma against those on benefits, and when it comes to validating the use of public assistance programs to those on the right side of the political spectrum.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.

If I hadn't read the article, how would I have known that the thread title was misleading? Of course I read it. The article said that the guy bought lobster, steak, and Mountain Dew with food stamps and re-sold them for 50% of their value. The thread title would lead people to believe that someone used food stamps to buy steak and lobster for their own consumption, which while incredibly stupid and wasteful is not necessarily wrong.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
The story of that guy sucks, and he's part of the problem for the majority of people on food stamps that are honest and truly need assistance. He deserves the fines and jail time, as do any that scam the system in such a blatant way.

I hope this doesn't turn into a myth-ridden thread about how so many on benefits are somehow scamming the system. It's funny when you flip it around, people still worship Wall Street despite the atrocities that happened there, and on a much larger scale when it comes to having an impact on hard-working taxpayers.
That's a really good point, but it can also be flip it around and say I was hoping so many people wouldn't turn some bad things that happened in Wall Street and turn it myth-ridden.

This isn't the norm for people on public assistance. Most people that recieve public assistance are people in situations where help is needed and they don't go around trying to take advantage of the system. Most of them aren't like this guy. This guy doesn't represent all.

At the same time, most stocks and bonds sold on Wall Street are investments that fuel the economy. Most companies and corporations make good products or provide good services that make our lives easier and more comfortable. Some obviously are bad and manipulate the free market. But they don't represent all.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
@ Your Highness: Hell yeah dude! I don't care if we don't agree about anything. I have Tot'l Respek for you because you EARN IT! So I honor you! ....and it's funny.

There is one population we all support: DD & MI, they deserve our support and compassion and low-lives like this take away from them. Other groups deserve our help in the form of a hand-up in life. I don't know if government is always the best way to provide that though.