• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Staying with one company - good or bad?

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I’d like to pose a question to the members here as to whether you guys think it’s a bad reflection on an employing these days if you do not stay with one company for long? Years ago, our elders would tell us that we have to stay in one company and work our way up. I personally think this is not relevant in this age of consumerism. I think it’s almost more damaging to your career if you stay in one place for too long. People start asking “why have you not moved up”, etc. Jobs have become as disposable as everything else in life, ie cars, houses, even relationships, etc.

And to make the question more relevant and personal, I should add that I seem to have a 20-month curse in all my jobs/companies. As soon as that 20th month hits, I am out of there. My current company, which I started with in July, actually called me on this in my interview. And ironically, even though I am very happy at my current company, I am already busy planning to leave for another country in February, which means I wouldn’t even have made 12 months.

Do you guys think this is a bad reflection on my loyalty? Thoughts please.

Kibi

Babeasaurus Sex
I agree with the point you made about it being a negative impression to stay with a company too long!

In my field particularly people always jump from company to company as staying in one place stifles your creativity which makes you a bad marketer!

Moving on is natural and not everyone is a nester. I personally crave adventure and change whereas some people need to be more secure.

:) I guess what I'm trying to say is it can be very dependant on job role and personality.

Shwa

V.I.P.
For my line of work (Medical) it's always good to stay at one location/company for a good period of time. It builds your reputation and tenior for knowing the facility and it's procedures, along with health guidelines. I don't think its particularly bad, but eventually for me I would like to advance in my job title or just change my environment unless I really, really like where I'm at.

~Shwa

Lemonv1

Registered Member
The bingo hall where I work is ideal for me, in that it is only a ten minute walk, and the earliest I'd start at my level is 10.45. There are many departments within it, so there is quite a bit of variety.

Because of this, I can easily see myself staying there as long as I can [as long as I don't get fired of course, haha]

I feel that there are good routes into supervisor roles, and it is also possible to get a small pay-rise or two while on the bottom level.

One woman who left not long ago had been there for 14 years, and someone at another branch must be at the 18ish year stage.

From this company alone I see that staying with one company can indeed still be relevant today.

Raos

Registered Member
I agree with most of what you said CuriousGirlSA. Years ago you stayed with a company for life. Jumping jobs was seen as a problem. Those were also the years of pensions though where you were rewarded for loyalty.

These days the opposite is true, sort of. The way you move up the ladder and earn more money is by getting a job at another company. The only part I do not agree with is that it looks bad if you do not do this. You can move up within your company and stay there for years. You will not make as much money as if you jumped to another company, but you can still show upward movement.

At most companies you can expect no more than a 5% raise each year and many do significantly less than that if they even give you a raise. If you get a new job at a different company though you can usually do much better than that.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Honestly if you aren't going anywhere and all the signs point to you not moving up in the near future than what's the point of staying? Loyalty to a company is great but it goes both ways. If they don't take care of you than I don't see a reason to stay.

I go through that sometimes with my job. I've been there since late 2005 and sometimes I wonder if I'll ever go anywhere. I'm content, for now, but in a couple of years I might change my tune.

Bliss

Sally Twit
It looks great on your CV if you stay with one company for a long time. Doesn't look so good if you're switching jobs every month. It'd be hard for someone to employ you with a messy CV like that because they will think you won't stay with them for long.

shelgarr

Registered Member
I'm not sure it's a reflection on loyalty (unless in fact you don't feel loyal), but I do wonder why you seem restless. Are you bored? What is it that happens that drives you to leave?

My jobs bore me!!! The learning process interests me but sustaining task and functions is not so appealing. I know this about myself, and luckily I've made it work for me. However it's not as short as 12 or 20 months. Outside of a few about 5 disasterous jobs, I've stayed 4-5 years at each employer. One of them I was given 4 different positions. Another I was given 2, and another I was given 2. So while I did stay, I was fortunate to shift around. At the point I came home to be a full-time mother, I found myself very unhappy after about 2 years. I knew well that it was my pattern and it was a matter of time that I must adjust again. Here it is 10 years later and I'm thrilled to be home (although that is coming to an end).

My husband was with one employer for 25 years and recently lost that job in July 2010. It's been 7 months and around 8 interviews later and has not yet found another. I cannot tell if it is playing against him that he stayed at one place. He did go in as entry level, pormoted to special projects, then CSR, than regional sales manager, and then left as a sales administration manager . With his work history, I think it shows potential that other employers will see his ability to learn and grow and devote.

Over the decades I've been in the workforce I've seen it go both ways. At first longevity was the thing, then different experiences was the thing. Bottom line, it's the employee that is the thing!!

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
It all depends on the reason. If you stayed with the same company for a long time but is not getting any advancement at all (ex: having new skills training or moving to different positions esp promoted responsibilities), then how can it be good? Now if you just often switch companies because of boredom, or you get fired right away, it could be a problem. If it's different companies because it's a contract job, at least in here where I live, it is ok because companies recognise both forms of employment in the same level in terms of working with contracts. Most companies prefer to offer renewable contract jobs than undefined date for economic reasons lately.

Sekme1

Registered Member
It is all about the money! I think in this economy no rules are good anymore. In my company where I work right now hired a girl that has no experience, and no education. And they did that because it cost them less. It is all about the money. Times change, rules change to.