Staying Up Late When You Were Young

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
When you were a kid did your parents let you stay up late to watch TV?

When I was much younger I would have to sweet talk mum all day for her to let me stay up late and watch Match Of The Day. My dad was never bothered how late I stayed up but my mum didn't like me staying up when I was 6/7 even on a saturday.

But when I got to about 12 ish I was virtually allowed to stay up every weekend.

And now I stay up all night every day!!

Bliss

Sally Twit
My mum and dad took the "It's your own fault" approach as I'd often stay up late on weekends and get up late the following morning. Every Saturday I would go into town with my mum but she'd leave at 9am. It used to be my favourite thing to do but I used to be in bed when she left and hate myself for it afterwards!
In the week I'd go to bed at a set time that I gave myself as I was always scared of being late for school.

ILOVEUSA911

Registered Member
Definitely had to be in bed by 8:00 p.m. when I was a kid. Weekends we could stay up until 10:00 p.m.

I was a little more lenient with my boys. I went by how late I could let them stay up and not have a hard time getting up for school. Once I dertermined that, that was their bedtime.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I had a basement room with a TV and game system so I could decide what I wanted to do (long as I was quiet that is). I appreciated the upbringing because it taught me to be responsible (I learned staying up late was not always a good idea!)

At a young age I wasn't interested in late night shows. Only when I turned 12 did I start following shows, my parents were more relieved that it happened later rather than policing my behavour.

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
When I was young my parents were quit strict when it came to going to bed. When I became a teenager they started to become less strict and now that I'm 18 I can stay up however long I want to.

Except the other weekend my mum told me to go to bed when she came downstairs and saw my light on at 2am :stare:

My mum and dad didn't have a choice haha. I was always an awful sleeper but I was happy to just sit in my bed and not cause trouble, or play with my toys, I never really wanted to stay up and watch TV or anything.

My brother says he remembers my dad telling us to go to bed one time and we wouldn't so he gave up and shouted FINE DO WHAT YOU WANT! and my brother ran upstairs to his bed but I stayed and played with my toys, afterall, I did have permission to :rolleyes::nod:

I guess they eventually learned that if they didn't let me stay up then they were the ones who would have to put up with me coming in to their room every 5 minutes telling them I couldn't sleep.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't really remember. I'm pretty sure my parents didn't let me stay up late until maybe 6th grade. At that point I chose my own bedtime, but I never stayed up very late on school nights, even in high school, cause I knew how much of a struggle it would be to wake up in the morning.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
oh man I had a pretty strict childhood. It was bed time at 8pm no matter what tv show was on or if the sun was even down yet. That was the rules and I was forced to abide by them without leniency.

It wasnt 'till I was about 15 or 16 when I started staying up past 8pm. Nowadays I dont even go to bed before 10 that often :hah:

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I was allowed to stay up until about 9 when I was 6 or 7 years old, then eventually that time became 10 then 11 as I got older. I guess staying up when you're a kid just makes you feel more mature and older.

Now I stay up until I feel like going to bed which isn't until 3 or 4 in the morning sometimes. :lol: