Stay at home wives (no kids, no job)

Discussion in 'Dating & Relationships' started by Mirage, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Here's an interesting article. Often times we hear the phrase "stay at home mom" but what if there are no kids? Is it still ok for the wife to stay at home doing housework all day?

No kids, no jobs for growing number of wives - CNN.com

In the case of this article her husband makes enough money for this to be an option. I think most of the time this is not a valid option though. If you don't have any kids then what's to stop you both from having a job?

If one income supports you both then clearly there's no need for you both to work, but what about extra money for savings?

Maybe I will get corrected here but is there really enough housework for this to be a fair deal? That's the arrangement in the article above. She stays home and does housework while he goes to work every day as a web engineer. Remember there are no kids in this situation.

Discuss!

2. EndWinterRomance

EndWinterRomance PREGGERS

sometimes i think this is acceptible.... for example if the wife is attending school, or trying to concieve. there are some men who really dont want their wives to work. i dont think its a problem if the husband is ok with it.

3. kiwi

kiwi The Original Kiwi

Well, if it works for them, go for it. I don't want them dictating how I live my life, so why would I try to do that to them and tell them their choices are wrong? I personally, even without kids and with Knyte being able to support us financially, would probably have a part time job, and then the rest of the time maintain the house, but that's me personally and I would have the job for the social aspect only. Even as a mom being home with only kids all day I get lonely, so I can't imagine how it would be if kids weren't here.

4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

She does other things like "charity work and leisure: reading, creative writing and exploring new hobbies, like sewing".

I don't automatically see a concern with such an arrangement. I know some people who are SAHW. As long as both in the couple agree to such arrangement (no resentment from the one who has to work outside of home) and if there are no financial issues to worry about - assuming they're well off, not just living through the salary of the working spouse but also they already have stable savings that earn decent interest or properties that go higher in value... I really don't see any problem with it. They can even both stop working. :lol:

5. Kounela

Kounela Registered Member

I am one.

Well, we have a particular situation. However, i think we probably would have done the same even if the circumstances were different. See, my fiance is disabled. He needs help doing even simple things so it would be impossible to work outside the home unless we hired someone. He works from the home and I take care of him and the house. For us it works. Thing is, I never wanted a career. I had always planned on being a stay-at-home mom/wife. It just so happened that my wish came true.

Every couple will need to make that decision, as long as they are both happy with it, I have no problem.

6. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

Well, one of my ex friends (long story) is a nurse and her husband didn't work for the longest of times. Then they decided they wanted to get a few extra things so he went to work and then they moved into a new house so now he has to work lol

I dunno, I would get so totally bored out of my mind I'd have to find a job to do.

7. viLky

viLky ykLiv

For me, if I had a wife, I would want her to stay at home if we can afford it, and if she agreed to it.

I feel that the wife should be taken care of and doesn't need to do as much as the man or more. Treat her like a queen and let her lounge around or do other stuff other than work. I wouldn't have a problem with that.

8. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

It must be nice to have time to read and pursue new hobbies. I'm just sayin.

Personally, I'd settle for some quiet time in the bathroom to myself. :-/

9. SatisPassion

SatisPassion Registered Member

If the couple doesn't have a problem with it, why should any of us? If they can make it work, then 'yay' for them; a lot can't, not realistically anyways.

Even if my partner made enough for me to be a 'stay-at-home' wife, I wouldn't be able to do it. Personally, if my husband or wife is working, I feel it's my obligation to be working, too. Maybe it's the way I was raised, I don't know. I just have this bizarre sense that everyone should contribute if they can.

But, I definitely don't hold anyone else to this standard. Do what makes you happy.

10. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I'd do it. But there's no way I could just "hang out" doing nothing. I'd be writing, painting and sculpting the hours away.

Total-absolute-friggin-bliss!