• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

State of the Union Address

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Cantor and Pelosi were suppose to sit side by side, but Pelosi turned him down.

Pelosi Turns Down Cantor as Her 'Date' for Speech - NYTimes.com

Anyway, I like watching these and I'll be watching tonight...will you?

Let's discuss the issues that are address tonight.

What are your expectations?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
For one thing, I like the idea of people sitting next to members of the opposite party. They're all Senators/Representatives first, and party members after that.

I had heard of mostly Conservative politicians and people being opposed to the idea at first, and wasn't happy about it. Now the same goes for Rep. Pelosi. I like her a lot, but I'm not cool with everyone being juvenile.

Just in my opinion, the "sitting together" thing is at least worth a try. It won't be permanent, but it's a good show of solidarity amongst the U.S. public's' questioning of divisive attitudes.

I like watching these a lot; even when President G.W. Bush was in office I'd make a point to watch them every time. It's an interesting political spectacle, whether the President at the time leads to steam coming out of your ears or applause from your hands.

I'll be in class this evening, so I'll probably just catch a C-Span replay or just the news stations' 6-month-long analysis of it, lol.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I'm a little confused - this is just sitting by each other, right? It doesn't actually affect anything in any way, shape or form, correct?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I'm a little confused - this is just sitting by each other, right? It doesn't actually affect anything in any way, shape or form, correct?
Correct.

It's silly to me. There are real philosophical differences between people in Congress just like there are outside of Congress. Sitting next to each other isn't going to solve anything just like not sitting next to each other doesn't cause anything.

As far as the address itself, I probably won't get to watch it live and will have to catch it later. I am interested in hearing it after the recent November election.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
That's correct, it's just a changing of the usual "one party on one side, one party on the other side" seating arrangement.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I mean I do think it serves a symbolic purpose, though...not sure if you're counting that.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
The President is going to call for a five-year freeze on all non-defense government spending. It should be interesting to see who stands and cheers for that!

shelgarr

Registered Member
Yes, I'll be watching it. For the most part I have heard good reports about what Obama plans to communicate. However in listening to Neil Cavuto and how Obama will propose a 5 year freeze on non-security spending, Cavuto said the money amount is so miniscule it's nearly irrelevant. Obama will have to take more aggressive approach when it comes to spending. As for any more economy stimulus .... I don't know anything the government can do except to reduce tax burden on business and put a moratorium on state, county and city tax burden on business. Business will grow and get confident and people will get jobs!!! My husband and I have been unemployed for 7 months. Wah.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Anyone actually catch this last night? What did you get out of it? Do you like some of the things that were said? Do you disagree with things that was said?

Thoughts?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I only caught 10 minutes of it. The lets all sit together scheme was even a dumber idea than I thought it would be because it moderated the crowd too much. A State of the Union without wild cheers and boos is just boring.