• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Politics State of the Union Address 2014

dDave

V.I.P.
I was wondering if anybody here watched the state of the union address.

I did not watch the whole thing. Just bits and pieces.State if the union addresses are generally boring and this one was no exception.

I found it funny that while he did not present it this way what he really was saying is that things are worse. Accidental honesty from Obama? We are just starting our 6th year with him as president. Who was at the helm while things were getting worse?

Obama also stated that 3 million Americans under 26 have gained health insurance under their parents plans. Also, more than 9 million people have signed up for Medicaid or private insurance. Does he realize that people were signing up for Medicaid long before Obamacare existed? Irregardless of Obamacare just as many people were going to sign up anyway. You can't take credit for people using a system that you have to sign up for monthly if it existed before Obamacare was implemented, that's just not right.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
His argument for raising the minimum wage on federal contracts tells me how economically ignorant he is. People don't live in poverty because of the minimum wage, people live in poverty because our economy is in the tank. It won't affect many anyway, hardly any workers under federal contract make minimum wage anyway.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I watch one hour of tv a week on Tuesday at 10pm. I was so pissed I missed my show for the week that I just could care less what was said. The guy is a lame duck anyway. There is no way he can really do anything, thank God.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I never watch the State of the Union Address no matter the president. I often find them boring, they often seem like they are just rattling on about nothing to me trying to sell their agenda or making promises they can't or won't keep. Which sometimes I'm glad they don't keep them and I'm not just talking about Obama. I'm sure I'll find the next president equally as boring.

I guess I shouldn't be that way and I should watch them.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
There is no way he can really do anything, thank God.
This is not quite accurate. He has stated if congress will not act he will act himself though executive orders. Effectively meaning he will ignore the constitution and do whatever he wants...just like so many before him, only this time on steroids. And who will stop him? The political hacks in congress?

I found it interesting that the repukelicans had several responses to the SOTU. I don't believe that usually happens. At least one of the responses was good from mike lee.. And at least one (that I heard anyway) made me want to throw up. Just shows the war within the party between the fiscally conservative tea party and the rest who stand for whatever is convenient at the time. Granted plenty of the people who claim to support the tea party movement are only in it for that same reason.

I read a transcript of obamas speech. Basically a crap ton of lies and a blatant disregard for the constitution. That and a sheer lack of understanding of how economies work. Nothing new.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I read a transcript of obamas speech. Basically a crap ton of lies and a blatant disregard for the constitution. That and a sheer lack of understanding of how economies work. Nothing new.
Couldn't agree more. Just a couple of things about the Constitution and Executive Orders. 1) The president as head of the Executive Branch does have the power to issue Executive Orders, but NOT to legislate, only to execute laws already in place. For example, Obamacare has been passed and it is the law. He can issue executive orders in futherance of Obamacare. He cannot say "If Congress does not raise the minimum wage to $10/hour I will" because 2) Under Article I Sec. I of the Constitution "ALL legislative powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall be consisted of a Senate and House of Representatives" (emphasis mine). The POTUS has NO legislative authority and Congress not working with the president is all part of the system of checks and balances all of SHOULD have learned in high school civics, much less a Constitutional Law professor. He said he watched the movie Lincoln, too bad he didn't learn anything from it. Lincoln had to deal with a Congress that didn't want to deal with him either and he didn't pass an EO issuing the 13th Amendment because he has no power to do so. 3) How many EO OTHER POTUS' have issued is irrelevant. They are permissible and Constitutional so long as they adhere to the constraints of the Constitution.

As a sidenote I'm going to be teaching a Personal Injury Course and a Criminal Law course starting in the Fall at a College down here and may teach Constitutional Law later, as an adjunct professor. I'm really excited about it.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Since you brought up Lincoln and I happen to have doing some reading on him lately, I'll will enter this:

Was not lincoln executive order with regards to the emancipation proclamation illegal and unconstitutional? Morally, it may have partially right but it was a bit hypocritical. I say partially right because it only freed slaves in southern/confederate held areas to try to destabilize them militarily and economically. Some border states were allowed to keep their slaves, for a time at least. Technically you could make the argument that Lincoln was simply basing this by saying he was taking what was considered "property" of his enemies, people in his eyes who were essentially committing treason. It's not that simple though I think. But overall in this respect I would say lincoln did not wait for congress.

He also suspended habeas corpus and thereby ordered the arrests and illegal detention of a lot of people.

The problem is I believe the south had the correct legal argument but the wrong moral argument (because no matter what you might mention the cause of the war always leads back to slavery). Since this war the power of the federal government has just exploded to astronomically unconstitutional levels.

Since you are going to be teaching constitutional law I'd be interested to hear if you agree with this assessment.

Perhaps a bit off topic....but still related because it is an example of a president going beyond his authority.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I don't have much of a problem with the Emancipation Proclamation because it was issued him being commander-in-chief. Once the war was over and especially if the North won it would be useless. It wasn't a legislative act, thus the push for Congress to pass the 13th Amendment. As far as Habeas Corpus, I've always had a hard time with him suspending it. The right of Habeas Corpus is found in Article I sec. 9 and it outlines how and when it can be suspended, but it is found under Article I thus it is implied only Congress can suspend it.

Going back to the Address, Obama stated women make .71 cents for every dollar a man makes which is false. Same job compared to same job, equal education compared to equal education women make .91 cents for every dollar. It's NEVER going to be even because there are so many variables with men working more hours, women taking off for maternity leave, the Family Leave Act, things of that nature. Besides it's not the job of Congress to "fix" any perceived wrongs, there are laws in place to deal with actual and real discrimination. In the example I don't think it's an example of him not understanding economics, it's more of the constant "there is a problem and we're the guys to fix it" (which is stupid) and more of the "war on women" BS we've been hearing for years now.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Basically State of the Union addresses get this type of reaction...

Democrat Dave: "Obama rules! I love his ideas for the future!"

Republican Rick: "Obama hates America! I hate everything he said!"

So no, I don't bother with it. What's the point? (Rhetorical question haha)

dDave

V.I.P.
Basically State of the Union addresses get this type of reaction...

Democrat Dave: "Obama rules! I love his ideas for the future!"

Republican Rick: "Obama hates America! I hate everything he said!"

So no, I don't bother with it. What's the point? (Rhetorical question haha)
See, but it's not as much about the vision for America (which we all know a lot of us here disagree with) as it is about the fact that the was able to get up there and mislead the American people and nobody seems to care. To me it doesn't matter who does it, if the president is lying then I do not approve.

Shouldn't matter if you're a Democrat, Republican, or anything else, Obama does not care about the Constitution and he's consistently lying to the American people, Democrats included. Why like him?