Starting first job. Need help with wage.

Discussion in 'Advice Board' started by Nosferatu_Alucard, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Undead Intellectual

I'm applying for a job at my local Petco and I was wondering how much I should get paid because they ask how much you expect to be paid. I live in MA and I think the minimum is $8.00.

Thoughts? Thanks.

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Hmm. Well first of all, doublecheck what minimum wage is. Do you now anybody who works there so you can find out what they generally start people at?

If you had an idea then that way you can say you expect to be paid at least that. It doesn't usually hurt to go 25-50 cents higher so there's room for them to go down a bit.

You don't want to expect too much on your first job though. You don't want them to think you are a sucker either. Do some research if you can and you'll be better prepared to give them a number.

3. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

You should throw them a higher pay than what you think you will actually get. Some places will no matter what give you a standard pay so you dont have much negotiating room.

I would always go 1 or 2 dollars higher than what I expected my pay to be. You also live in boston which has the highest cost of living in the U.S. 10 bucks an hour would not be outrageous there for a first job.

4. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I would expect that would be the case at a place like Petcowherethepetsgo.

good luck, man.