• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Star Wars Prequel vs Original Trilogy

dDave

V.I.P.
I keep hearing people talk about just how disappointing/terrible the prequel trilogy of Star Wars was compared to the original trilogy. I don't understand this line of thinking. This is a thread I'm making to really discuss in depth why some people feel this way.

I actually like the prequel trilogy (especially episode III). Now, I recognize that Hayden Christensen and Jake Lloyd are not exactly good actors (some of the blame definitely goes to Lucas though). I also recognize that the droids were just idiotic in all three movies. I find episode II to be the weakest link in the trilogy but it's still an enjoyable movie to watch. What else was wrong with these films that so many people don't like them?

Comparably I could point to the bad acting of Mark Hamill in the original trilogy as well as the stupidity of *cough*ewoks*cough* and just how dumb some of the Storm Troopers. There's also the difference in special effects though I choose to look past this recognizing that the original films were great for their time in terms of effects (honestly, most of them look good, just a few that don't look good).

Thoughts on this? Do you like the prequel trilogy?

Last edited:

Taliesin

Registered Member
I'm not one who thinks that the prequel trilogy was as awful as most people make out. But in terms of overall quality of storytelling? No, it's not a patch on the originals.

If anything, I take a different view in that the prequel movies feel... well, redundant. Part of what I love about the original movies is when Luke is told the story of how his father became Darth Vader. It feels like something mythic is being imparted, like a delicious piece of "apocrypha" that can't possibly be real... and yet...

Watching Anakin's journey from whiny Padawan to evil Sith Lord in the prequels kinda robbed the originals of that mythic quality for me. It's not a journey that needed to be shown, and was more effectively told when it was an older Obi Wan telling a young Luke about it. Frankly, I don't have to have every last little thing shown or explained to me. A little mystery in storytelling is not a bad thing, but alas we live in a culture that wants every tiny thing hammered home in neon, sky-high CliffNotes. You know. In case no one gets it.

Really, I think my beef with the prequels is that they're not necessary to the overall story as told in the originals. Everything you needed to know about Star Wars history was kinda covered in those already, so Lucas might have been better off telling all new stories about all new characters within that same universe... much like Clone Wars does (by and large).

So, yeah, the prequels were not as terrible as folks make them out to be, but they sure as hell were irrelevant. At least to me.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I thought the new trilogy was entertaining. I'm not one of those people who hated them or anything. I just think they could have been a lot better. They were plagued by bad writing, cheesy dialogue, and poor acting, particularly young and old Anakin. I wish he had been cast better. There are plenty of epic scenes that make it all worth watching though, in my opinion. I can't really go into more detail right now though because I haven't watched them in years.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I liked the original trilogy better but I wouldn't say the prequel was bad. Its been a while since I've seen any of them but I think the acting was better all the way around in the original. I think it was more popular because it was a fresh new idea and nothing had been done like that until then.

Konshentz

Konshentz
The prequel trilogy was AWFUL.

- Jar Jar Binks should be enough to end the discussion once and for all.
- Jake Lloyd was terrible and the story of young Anakin was a snoozefest.
- Killing off the best villain in the worst way.
- Hayden Christensen.
- The complete and utter lack of chemistry between Anakin and Padmé.
- Darth Vader screaming "Nooooooooo!"

I've wasted enough time on those piles of shit.

Brent

Registered Member
Ah, don't make me choose...I think I actually prefer the prequel trilogy. Episode I was probably the weakest of the 6 films, but II and III were so good! The story was more complex and overall, a better adventure. The visuals were amazing too.

Naiwen

Registered Member
Ah, don't make me choose...I think I actually prefer the prequel trilogy. Episode I was probably the weakest of the 6 films, but II and III were so good! The story was more complex and overall, a better adventure. The visuals were amazing too.
I'm sorry, but no... I hated the prequels, I'm a great fan of IV, V, VI.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I just watched Episode I for the first time in like 9-10 years probably. It was a lot worse than I remember. It was terrible, like it was written for an audience with the IQ of a rock. I want to kick young Anakin in the face over and over again. I think the only redeeming qualities are Liam Neeson and the Darth Maul fight, and I guess the music. Everything else is garbage.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
After watching Episode II, I'd say it's not really any better than Episode I. Both movies are pretty bad, and not only bad by Star Wars standards, but bad movies, period.

There are a few entertaining scenes, and the story is somewhat interesting if you're into Star Wars, but everything else is sub-par. The special effects don't really make up for its shortcomings.

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
The prequel trilogy was AWFUL.

- Jar Jar Binks should be enough to end the discussion once and for all.
- Jake Lloyd was terrible and the story of young Anakin was a snoozefest.
- Killing off the best villain in the worst way.
- Hayden Christensen.
- The complete and utter lack of chemistry between Anakin and Padmé.
- Darth Vader screaming "Nooooooooo!"

I've wasted enough time on those piles of shit.
THIS. So much this. I am just hoping that the new trilogy that is coming doesn't suffer from this sort of thing. Just about the only thing I am confident in is that John Williams will compose a good score.