• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Star Wars, or Lord of the Rings?

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

Which trilogy do you prefer, the original Star Wars, or the Lord of the Rings, this is a VERY tough choice for me, I love both trilogies, it it the inner nerd in me I suppose, both were extremely well done,etc. I may try to make a choice later, just seeing what everyones opinion is.

SuiGeneris

blue 3
Oh man, how dare you ask such a question. Actually for me its kidn've an easy choice.

So I know Star Wars is an all time classic, and I admit I grew up on that movie, but I think I prefer LoTR more. I mean maybe its just because Star Wars was made in the 70's, but I just kinda feel like the characters portrayed in Lord of the Rings were a tad bit more real, and the acting was a hell of a lot better.

Luke's voice annoys me in a couple scenes in Star Wars, and the audio/visual effects weren't that great. Now if Star Wars were made now (Say the graphics of Episode 1,2,3) having the plot of 4,5, or 6 it might be a different story. However, I also think that SW would not have been such a hit if it were made now, the main reason why it was a phenomenon (in my opinion) was that it was one of the first movies to ever really create an entire world of its own, as well as the special effects (which were amazing back then)

I just think that LoTR is a lot more interesting in the long run. The whole Star Wars theme seems a bit cliche', thats just because everyone copied off of them though. :)

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

I would have to disagree with you on the special effects, they still look amazing, well Lucas did redo them, but still amazing.

Sephy

Forum Drifter
That is such a tough decision. Both are so good. I guess it comes down to which you like more, fantasy or science fiction. I personally cannot choose between these two lol.

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

I figure thats how a lot of people will end being on me, its a stalemate.

Malificus

Likes snow
Satr wars, hands down. Lord of the Ring ruined their chances by not having Tom Bombadil

SuiGeneris

blue 3
Piccolo said:
I would have to disagree with you on the special effects, they still look amazing, well Lucas did redo them, but still amazing.
Thats true. The redone version does make the special effects look a lot better. However, I really don't think you can compare them to LoTR. I know thats kind've an unfair comparison, but thats something you gotta take into consideration.

I'm not taking anything away from Star Wars; its probably the greatest triology of all time, I just personally liked LoTR more.

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

Well they were made in the 70's, and if it wasnt for them we would not have the SFX that are in Lord of the Rings, ILM did help Weta during production, and Lucas gave Jackson tips.

SuiGeneris

blue 3
Piccolo said:
Well they were made in the 70's, and if it wasnt for them we would not have the SFX that are in Lord of the Rings, ILM did help Weta during production, and Lucas gave Jackson tips.

Oh I'm not denying that at all; SW was truly revolutionary, and without it god knows where the film industry would be right now.

I'm just saying as a consumer I enjoy watching LoTR more than I enjoy wathcing SW just because of the reasons I stated above.

Its an un-fair compairson I know, but its just my thoughts as a viewer. I'm not taking any credit away from SW or Lucas for that matter, both are brilliant, and both deserve their place in filmng history.

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

Yeah that is true, Star Wars has its place, and Lord the Rings does now.