• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Star Wars or just dominos?

Will there be a space apocalypse?

• Yeah

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Even countries like North Korea are sending satellites into geosynchronous orbit. And the US, China, and Russia are experimenting with offensive and defensive space tech. So whats next?
Theres about 1,300 satellites up there that give people GPS, TV, and internet connections. But theres also

1. Tons of space debris - a marble in space could destroy a satellite and make more debris.
2. Robotic satellites that can approach other satellites.
3. No space treaty or even Rules of Conduct.

So if a satellite gets blown up then thats more debris that can take out other satellites. And the risk increases each time another one crashes. In a word - One crashed satellite in orbit could start a chain reaction that can take out every satellite in orbit.

Every attempt to control whats happening in space has been rejected at the UN. The US rejects treaties proposed by Russia and China and they reject treaties proposed by the US. Why? Suspicious.
The superpowers dont trust each other enough to pass a treaty and they are still developing offensive ande defensive satellite tech in space.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/war-in-space-may-be-closer-than-ever/

So whats the answer?
Do you think this will become a total disaster that takes out GPS and the Internet?
Or do you think they will find a solution?

Please explain your response.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I hope they find a solution because there would be no winners. I think they know that.

I figure no one wants to sign a treaty because they want to continue with what they are doing and no they don't trust each other.

Just wait until this continues on the moon.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I hope they find a solution because there would be no winners. I think they know that.

I figure no one wants to sign a treaty because they want to continue with what they are doing and no they don't trust each other.

Just wait until this continues on the moon.
Yeah. Imo anything that can be called a weapon or interferes with other satellites should so totally be banned in space.
Geosynchronous orbits are too important on so many levels. GPS doesnt just help people on trips. Its also used to track storms and save lives. And how could people interface without the internet? The threats to those systems needs to stop before its too late.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah. Imo anything that can be called a weapon or interferes with other satellites should so totally be banned in space.
Geosynchronous orbits are too important on so many levels. GPS doesnt just help people on trips. Its also used to track storms and save lives. And how could people interface without the internet? The threats to those systems needs to stop before its too late.
I agree weapons in space should be banned but I think they won't come to an agreement because they want them there.

Wouldn't hurt to have something there in case of a big meteor.

GPS is used for so much including air travel. The military uses it a lot too.