• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith [SPOILERS]

Wade8813

Registered Member
Are you just not listening? Young Jedi are still Jedi. You could see the remorse in his eyes before he did it. He was instructed by the man hiding the secrets he wanted to eliminate the Jedi without hesitation. So why would he leave any of them alive? What's so hard to see?
I didn't notice any remorse in his eyes. But even if it was there, it would have made much more sense if they'd dwelt on it more. Slaughtering a bunch of kids who are jedi, when you cared passionately about the jedi very recently, warrants more of a response than slight remorse. It's incredibly hard to turn your back on something that you care a lot about, but even harder to start murdering your friends' kids.

Someone in that position should be mentally anguished about killing the kids as a MINIMUM.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's incredibly hard to turn your back on something that you care a lot about
Unless you're trying to save the person you care about the most in the world! It really isn't that far of a stretch. Anakin was losing faith in the Jedi for a long time when he finally turned, it's not like he woke up and said, "Fuck these guys, get me a black helmet and James Earl Jones".

Someone in that position should be mentally anguished about killing the kids as a MINIMUM.
You don't view Darth Vader as mentally anguished?

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
People fail to note that the Force (especially the dark side) is very influential on a person's actions and behavior. The light side can be calming and serene and Jedi seem to remain calm and passive even in the worst situations. They allow the force to ease their personal tension and remain focus on the tasks at hand.

Meanwhile the dark side is fed by emotions. Emotions, extreme ones, can consume individuals. When was the last time you were angry? Not just mad really really mad. Well the force takes your emotion to the next degree drowning out all sense of reality besides the emotions of the individual.

Also Palpatine was using the Force to influence Anakin's actions to give him another bump.

Now they could have altered Anakin's downfall by making it a bit slower. However, I dont think Lucas would have completely captured the consuming power of the dark-side with Anakin committing such atrocities. And all though he may of went from a confused and easily influence indivual to a mindless murderer I found it believable.

Also the line "the Sith speak in absolutes" is true. I mean throughout all the video games, and the expanded universe, and the movies, that line verbalizes a consistent trait in the ideaology of the Sith and the Dark-side.

If you are one of the conservatives who took offense to the line because some felt it took a stab at an already struggling Bush administration then you read WAY too much into that line.

It was a movie line, not a statement against the Republicans.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Unless you're trying to save the person you care about the most in the world! It really isn't that far of a stretch. Anakin was losing faith in the Jedi for a long time when he finally turned, it's not like he woke up and said, "Fuck these guys, get me a black helmet and James Earl Jones".
Trying to save the person you care most about means you (might) be willing to do that. It doesn't mean that it'll be easy.

You don't view Darth Vader as mentally anguished?
There were times Anakin seemed mentally anguished. Just not when he was about to slaughter a bunch of kids.

People fail to note that the Force (especially the dark side) is very influential on a person's actions and behavior. The light side can be calming and serene and Jedi seem to remain calm and passive even in the worst situations. They allow the force to ease their personal tension and remain focus on the tasks at hand.

Meanwhile the dark side is fed by emotions. Emotions, extreme ones, can consume individuals. When was the last time you were angry? Not just mad really really mad. Well the force takes your emotion to the next degree drowning out all sense of reality besides the emotions of the individual.

Also Palpatine was using the Force to influence Anakin's actions to give him another bump.
Sure, but the director needs to make that clearer. And you don't see any extreme emotions in that scene. Anakin walked in, he and the kids saw each other, the kids greet him, he pauses a little, and then you see a bunch of corpses. You never saw him struggling with what he was about to do, he isn't extremely emotional about it, he shows no remorse, nothing.

Also, he wasn't extremely angry. He was extremely scared, and slightly angry.

Also the line "the Sith speak in absolutes" is true. I mean throughout all the video games, and the expanded universe, and the movies, that line verbalizes a consistent trait in the ideaology of the Sith and the Dark-side.

If you are one of the conservatives who took offense to the line because some felt it took a stab at an already struggling Bush administration then you read WAY too much into that line.

It was a movie line, not a statement against the Republicans.
I don't care one way or another if it was a jab against Republicans (although some jabs in other movies are a little too over the top, and are distracting). But the fact of the matter is, EVERYONE deals in absolutes. The statement that "Only the Sith deal in absolutes" is an absolute statement, and is thus self-contradictory.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
Trying to save the person you care most about means you (might) be willing to do that. It doesn't mean that it'll be easy.

There were times Anakin seemed mentally anguished. Just not when he was about to slaughter a bunch of kids.

Sure, but the director needs to make that clearer. And you don't see any extreme emotions in that scene. Anakin walked in, he and the kids saw each other, the kids greet him, he pauses a little, and then you see a bunch of corpses. You never saw him struggling with what he was about to do, he isn't extremely emotional about it, he shows no remorse, nothing.

Also, he wasn't extremely angry. He was extremely scared, and slightly angry.

I don't care one way or another if it was a jab against Republicans (although some jabs in other movies are a little too over the top, and are distracting). But the fact of the matter is, EVERYONE deals in absolutes. The statement that "Only the Sith deal in absolutes" is an absolute statement, and is thus self-contradictory.
I don't see the truth of that statement. The "with us or against us" mentality has always been a characteristic of the Sith. Not the Jedi...

Fear leads to anger...The fact remains his emotions got the best of him and I dont see how you can think he wasn't angry. Maybe when he slaughtered the kids he didn't demonstrate much emotion but you could argue at that point he was on an unwavering path.

I honestly don't think the director needs to spell it out much further though. Anyone watching Star Wars episode III would probably understand the influence of the force on characters.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I don't see the truth of that statement. The "with us or against us" mentality has always been a characteristic of the Sith. Not the Jedi...
The statement "with us or against us" is an absolute, but there are tons of other absolutes.

Fear leads to anger...The fact remains his emotions got the best of him and I dont see how you can think he wasn't angry. Maybe when he slaughtered the kids he didn't demonstrate much emotion but you could argue at that point he was on an unwavering path.

I honestly don't think the director needs to spell it out much further though. Anyone watching Star Wars episode III would probably understand the influence of the force on characters.
Fear can often lead to anger, but it often doesn't. But even if that was the case here, someone afraid becomes angry at what you're afraid of. It's like with the X-Men, the normal humans' fear of mutants leads to their anger towards mutants, but not anything else. Unless you think Anakin was scared of the kids...

Sure, the force has an effect on you, but unless you're saying it completely brainwashes you instantly, so what?

micfranklin

Eviscerator
For some reason I feel all movies that come in a trilogy get better as they're made but that's just me. I obviously like ROTS, it was a good ending to the series but I felt it could've been a lot more....brutal.