• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Stanley Cup Favorites?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know there's still a few months left before the season actually starts, but which team are your favorites to win the Stanley Cup?

I personally don't see the Bruins repeating, they'll make the playoffs but I don't see them make another run for the cup.

One of my favorites, and I'm not sure if they're there yet but I have a feeling that the Kings will make a run for the Cup this season. They already had some great pieces, but added a few great players, the main one being Mike Richards. I just don't know if Quick and Bernier can lead them there.

Thoughts?

Rink_Rage

Registered Member
Canucks, Bruins, Flyers, Kings, Sharks, Blackhawks, Capitals, Penguins, Lightning, Red Wings, and Sabres.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I'd like to see the jets there :lol: Honestly though, I won't really be able to say either way till the season starts. I can never really tell unless I see em play.

BigBob

Registered Member
We'll go with the two obvious choices every single year in the Penguins and the Red Wings. Next I would expect the Bruins to make it back because I love their physicality.

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
My favorites going into this year are the Capitals, Sabres, Sharks, and Flyers. Repeats are damn near impossible these days, so I won't count on either the Bruins or Canucks making the final again. My darkhorse will again have to be the Nashville Predators, even though their free agency period acquisitions have been largely uneventful.

Konshentz

Konshentz
The Wings haven't been an obvious choice in a few years.

With that said, I'll go with Sharks (will fall short again), Wings (same, probably to the Sharks... again) and the Canucks (choke) for the West. And Flyers, Bruins and Sabres in the East.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Kings- they've been building for years and this looks like it's finally the year where their talent level is enough.

Sharks- if it's not this year it may never happen, as the core ages.

Canucks- not sold, I think last year really was their year. But until proven otherwise they're contenders.

Don't watch enough hockey to say anything about the East.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Sharks are going to be an interesting team this year. They added Brent Burns to their back-end, him and Dan Boyle on the power play is a scary though. Then they traded their sniper Dany Heatley for Martin Havlat. I believe the big reason why they traded Heatley is because of the emrgence of Logan Couture in his rookie campaign. He'll have a lot of pressure on his shoulders during his sophmore season.

They'll probably finish near the top of the standings. They added some good pieces this off-season and I believe they're definitely one of the teams to beat.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I like the Kings too. They've been stock piling these draft picks and getting younger and better as the years have gone on. They need to get Daughty signed and they'll be set. The question is in net but I think Quick can get the job done.

Sharks, yeah, I like what they've done as well. I'm not a huge Havlat fan but Burns and Boyle is scary on defense.

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
Another question for the Kings is depth. They pretty much have nothing after their second line. Just a lot of goons, agitators, and plumbers, one of the reasons why I have hated this team so much over the years. Also, yes, Quick is a big question mark who really hasn't done anything to prove himself. The Kings might win a round this year, but they won't get past a team like San Jose, Detroit, or Vancouver. It'll be similar to how Nashville was this past year.

Anyone considering the Florida Panthers as a darkhorse this year? I doubt they might even make the playoffs, but if Theodore gets his act together, or they make a trade during the year, they could have the right set of pieces to go on a run like they did in 1996 (well, maybe not that deep). Tallon is a pretty good GM, considering his track record in Chicago.