Stanley Cup Discussion

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Forbidden, Jun 3, 2006.

?

Who will win the Stanley Cup?

1. Edmonton

100.0%
  2. Carolina

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Forbidden

Forbidden Guest

Well it's here folks, the Stanley Cup. This year it will be the Edmonton Oilers vs. the Carolina Hurricanes. They both made it through some tough teams to get this far, and both earned it. Coverage of the Stanley Cup begins in 2 days, on Monday. As for the winner, I am hoping and thinking that Edmonton is going to be able to beat Carolina. They have a lot of strong players including Pronger, Samsonov, and Peca, and a lot of younger players have stepped up like Pisani. Their goalie Roloson has also been performing well. Carolina also has a few good players as well, including Brind'Amour and Staal. Their young goalie Cam Ward has also been performing excellently in the playoffs so far. But in summary, hopefully Edmonton will be able to win the cup this year!

2. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

It will depend on whether

A) Eric Staal performs as he should

and

B) Carolina produces offense

Edmonton shelled the Ducks, but in the first two games of the series against San Jose they were wholly unimpressive. Carolina must step up and play as physically as they can, and stay on the attack. Edmonton's goaltending has been good, but wasn't nearly as impressive in the last two games of the Anaheim series.

Edmonton in six is my guess.

3. Forbidden

Forbidden Guest

Today I also heard something pretty funny on a different forum. They said that the only reason Edmonton is in the finals is because they had an easy road to the finals. Not only did they have to face the best team in the NHL, Detroit, they also had to face a good opponent in San Jose, and Anaheim. But anyway, Game 1 tomorrow, I'm pretty excited to see how this one is going to turn out.

4. Kazmarov

Well, that's open for opinion right there.

Detroit was too old, and Anaheim is not a physical team. The San Jose series was won mostly on mental blunders by Toskala and poor defensive play. Edmonton's had it tough, but the Anaheim series was definitely a mismatch.

5. Forbidden

Forbidden Guest

Detroit may have had a team of older veterans, but they still had the best record in the NHL this year, which is how they got their first seed. The fact that Edmonton barely made the playoffs and were able to step up and beat these teams makes them look good for the finals. However, the Hurricanes didn't have that easy of a road either. They played the Devils who have the hottest goalie in the league right now, Brodeur, and also Brian Gionta, who is a player who really had a breakout year. They also had a tough last round against the Sabres and their young goalie Ryan Miller. Anyway both of these teams deserve to be there and it should be a great series all the way, probably going to be 6 or 7 games.

6. Kazmarov

Detroit was also in a division where they played 24 games against Chicago, St. Louis, and Columbus.

The talent gap in the Western Conference is miniscule. Sure Detroit lost but so did seeds 2, 3 , 4 in the first round. They were very overrated (as were the Stars...I mock them).

7. Forbidden

Forbidden Guest

That's a good point, they did play a lot of weak teams throughout the season. I was still impressed with Detroit in the regular season though, Lidstrom is a great offensive defenseman, and Datsyuk and Zetterberg had pretty good years as forwards. And you can't forget Yzerman and Shanahan.

8. Kazmarov

Mostly I was unimpressed with their goaltending, I think it was the weak point of their team, as well as being unable to dominate physically.

9. Forbidden

Forbidden Guest

Well as I said we got better physically this year with pickups such as Cairns, however their on like the 3rd line and 4th line so they don't get a lot of time.... as for our goalies, Fleury is really young at 22, Caron is pretty young also, Thibault was our veteran goalie pick-up this year, and he didn't perform too well. Fleury has potential to be great, although he's young now. Caron either had an amazing game or a horrible one.

10. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I believe that the Oilers will win the Stanley Cup their really hot right now, they've been playing a playoff atmosphere for close to two months now, they had a long break and hopefully that won't hurt them to much. Look for Pronger to have an amaming series.