Stand Up Comedy Anyone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mirage, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Anyone here ever go to an open mic night at a club and do stand up? I am thinking of getting into it.

Maybe I've been watching too much Seinfeld but I've known a few people who've done some standup and they seem to enjoy it. One guy I know has been on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. He said I could open for him when he's in town if I get some club experience so I guess I'm wondering if anyone here has gone down that road at all?

2. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

i've actually thought about this, except with me its sit-down comedy....unless i elevate my seat so i'm kinda stand-up

3. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

Ive done this before. I was on Comedy Sportz for a time and it turned into stand up after highschool

Hybrix, its super hard, so if your gonna get into it, be prepaired. Im sure youll do well though. good luck

(imagining people in their underware dosnt really work)

4. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I've never been to a live standup, but I've always loved watching guys like Sam Kinison, Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle, and George Carlin tear it up on stage.

5. One-and-Only

One-and-Only Registered Member

british humour is the shite. funniest comedians out are british. jimmy carr, michael mcintyre, peter kay, ricky gervais, catherine tate. i've never had an opportunity to go to see a live stand up comic, but one day, when i go to london, i definately will.

6. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Good luck, man. I know I can't pump out jokes for half an hour. Heck, I can't even tell a decent story. =/

Whatever you do, don't use airline food. :D

7. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

I'm thinking of getting into it in college, seems like an interesting challenge.

I'm a big fan of Carlin, Rock, and a variety of Canadian comics, and would probably base my style off of theirs.

8. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

Dude, Demitri Martin.

I love him because of the art (both visiual and audio) he uses in his stand up. YouTube him if you havent seen him.

9. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

Record it!

But it would seem like a fun experience! I just love Margaret Cho, Kathy Griffin, and Jeff Dunham.

10. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

Oh yeah!

Dude, hybrix if you ever get a stand up gig, you must put it on youtube for all of GF to see.

Its a requirement. And who knows, an agent may see it and want to represent you!