Stan "the Man" Musial

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Millz, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

This thread is to discuss one of the greatest players in the history of Major League Baseball and the greatest St Louis Cardinals player in history.

Musial played his entire career in St Louis and that stretched over 22 seasons. He went to the All Star game 20 times in a row from 1943 through his final year in 1963 and he won the Most Valuable Player Award three times.

He finished with a career batting average of .331, had 3,630 hits, 475 home runs, and 1,951 RBI's.

For whatever reason Stan the Man isn't talked about in the same breath as Ruth, Gehrig, Aaron, Mays and Williams and that's a shame. He is one of the best players to ever play the game. Any additional comments on Stan the Man Musial?

2. SHOELESSJOE3

SHOELESSJOE3 Registered Member

Stan never seems to get his due. For sure one of the greatest hitters spanning the early years spanning some years just before mid century 1950 and after 1941-1963. Loads of EBHs total 1377, 725 doubles, 177 triples and 475 home runs in the years 1941-1963 all those totals more than any other hitter in the years 1941-1963 and his .331 batting average second to only Ted Williams. Had Ted not missed 3 years in the service he would have hit more home runs than Stan but not more doubles and triples.

I had the plasure of meeting Stan and Duke Snider after a baseball card show in Buffalo NY some years ago. A group of us stood in the parking lot talking about baseball a good hour. Both these guys were real gentlemen.

A fan told of him and a friend seeing Stan in a restaurant. For some reason during the conversation it came up that the men were celebrating a birthday, his dads. Stan takes out a harmonica and gives a version of "Happy Birthday."

Great player, great guy. Sorry to hear on one of the boards that Stan is not in the best of health, in his late 80s.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

He was never colorful, never much of an interview. He makes a better statue.

What he was was a BALLPLAYER. He didn't spit at fans. He didn't get into fights at night clubs. He didn't marry anybody famous.

He hustled.

You look at his career totals of doubles (725, third all time) and triples (177, 19th all time and 10th all time since 1900) and they'll remind you of something that was accepted while he was active, but has largely been forgotten since: Stan Musial was one player who ALWAYS left the batters box on a dead run.

At that time (mid 1980s), James also concluded that Musial, because of the respect he received in MVP voting, was probably the most respected player of the post-war era... including everybody. Not only did Musial win three MVP awards, but he also finished second in the voting four times.

When Henry Aaron won his MVP award in 1957, Musial almost beat him out for the award.. Aaron, age 23, hit .322 with 44 HR and 132 RBI for the league champions... Musial hit .351 with 29 and 102 (Musial was 36 years old at the time)... the count was 239-230 in Aaron's favor.

Also, unlike many of the players of his generation, Musial was ALWAYS in shape... his one notable injury, that which moved him from the pitcher's mound to the outfield, occurred in an off-season gymnastics workout... James concluded his remarks about Musial by adding, "...I think you will find it a general principle of life that players who hurt themselves while working out in the off-season have long and successful careers, while those who injure themselves running the bases do not."

He also rated Musial as the greatest left fielder ever, even over Williams... because although Williams was a better hitter, Musial was better in the field, better running the bases, and better in the clubhouse... plus, Stan the Man could hit a little too. (Rating from 1985)

James' 2000 Edition of the Historical Abstract rates Williams and Musial as the #1 and #2 left fielders of all time.

Musial was always quiet..and he was always a gentleman. Those kind of things don't make great headlines.

And there's never been a time when you could say that Musial was "baseball's greatest living player"

Musial is now 87 years old... it's amazing that he's still being ignored. But that's ESPN for you.

Also, I remember seeing a list of players who got the same number of hits at home as they did on the road in their careers... Musial was one such player... 1,815 hits at home, 1,815 hits on the road.

4. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

He was a great player but he is probably just a notch below the guys you mentioned (as well as Ty Cobb).

I also know that out of his 3630 hits, 1815 came at home and 1815 were on the road.

I think he also was one of 5 players to play 1000 games at two different positions. Robin Yount, Ernie Banks, Rod Carew and Ron Fairly were the others.

5. TheMadDog31

TheMadDog31 New Member

One of the greatest and without a doubt the most underrated baseball player in the history of the game.

6. SHOELESSJOE3

SHOELESSJOE3 Registered Member

Also one of the nicest guys in the game. Years ago Stan appeared at a baseball card show in Buffalo NY. After the show a group of us met Stan in the parking lot. He stood there for more than half an hour, talking baseball. You had the sense that he was in no hurry to leave, we took it upon ourselves to end the conversation because we knew he was leaving town that night by plane to appear at another card show in Chicago the next day.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008