• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Stallone v Schwarzenegger v Willis

Who's the better actor

• Total voters

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
Definitely "Arnie" for me.

'Till this day Conan the Barbarian has remained a big pretty inspiration for me. Even the epic soundtrack done by Basil still destroys me.

If I had to put in order my favourite Arnie movies it would be something like this:

1) Conan the Barbarian
2) Kindergarten Cop
3) Total Recall
4) Last Action Hero
5) Predator

As others have reflected on, he's unique and has the lulz factor. Those were probably his most inspirational films for me, growing up & today.

Actually Stallone's worst movie has to be Cobra with Brigette Neilson. Anyone remember that trainwreck? Now, with that being said, Sly Stallone is still my favorite outta the three.
I can only partially agree with you. It's not the greatest movie, but come on... it's as '80s as it freakin' gets! The outfits, the music, the crappy one-liners. Oh, and Brian Thompson's epic performance as the Night Slasher. It's cheesy yeah, but it's '80s. You might as well say you hate the whole era!

We are the future! We kill the weak so the strong survive.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Both Cobra and Cliffhanger were good movies, obviously the acting was terrible but you got to expect that when it comes to action stars like Arnold and Stallone. With that said, Stallone has shown he can be a good actor if he needs too, just watch Cop Land. He was terrific in that movie.

Each their own I guess.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I can only partially agree with you. It's not the greatest movie, but come on... it's as '80s as it freakin' gets! The outfits, the music, the crappy one-liners. Oh, and Brian Thompson's epic performance as the Night Slasher. It's cheesy yeah, but it's '80s. You might as well say you hate the whole era!
Brian Thompson was the only good thing in that movie. Anyways, it was just a lil too fromage for my taste. I think Brigette Nielson ruined it for me. Well, to each his own, I guess. :)

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The thing that you guys seem to be forgetting here is that were not talking about who's the best actor of the three, he asked who was your favorite from the three. It doesn't matter if Willis range as an actor is more than Stallone and Arnold. Your decision should solely based on who you find more entertaining, nothing more and nothing less.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
You shouldn't blast their terrible performances. I mean, they've all done some crap. For instance:

Sly:
Cobra
Rocky V
Get Carter (remake)

Willis:
Mercury Rising
The Bonfire of the Vanities
The Whole 10 Yards
Cop Out

Arnie:
Batman and Robin
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

So, I don't reckon it's fair to deduct marks for this. However, based on merit alone for how entertaining they are I go with Arnold Schwarzenegger. The grand majority of his work has seemed to be pretty strong, and he has a good range of roles that suit his entertaining ability.

Even a film like The Running Man, which seems to epitomise what a B-Movie is, he still manages to make that extremely engrossing. Not that Sly wasn't eye-catching in Demolition Man, or Rocky - or Willis in The Sixth Sense, Pulp Fiction or Armageddon. I just find Arnie far more entertaining.

Also, a lot of the time I notice that Sly and Willis are often on the back foot, having their film roles stolen from them by other actors.

Sly:
Cop Land - His performace nullified by Kietel, Roth and DeNiro
Cliffhanger - Lithgow steals
even Wesley Snipes manages to grab more attention in Demolition Man. I mean, Wesley-frigging-Snipes.

Willis:
*Pulp Fiction - This is Samuel L Jackson's film, as was Unbreakable.
*Upstaged by a child in The Sixth Sense
*Flattened by his own director in Planet Terror, and the rest of them. He was bloody awful in that actually.
*Beaten to death with his own shoes by Brad Pitt in Twelve Monkeys.
And as for the Fifth Element - well, yeah.

However, I find it hard to think of many circumstances where Arnie has been dragged out of his domineering screen presence by someone else's performance. Even in The Terminator, which he's barely in and barely ever talks, he stills steals the show. With perhaps Twins, as an exception, in which Danny DeVito did a superb job, I find it hard to remove Arnie's entertaining ability at the expense of his co-actors, whereas the other two don't seem to manage it. They are often second fiddle, and notciably so. Hence Arnie. --

Wow, that was a long explanation. Early mornings I think.

Last edited:

viLky

ykLiv
Arnold Schwarzenegger for me. Bruce Willis seems to try too hard to be an action hero while Stallone and Schwarzenegger just seem natural at it. Even in his less actions roles he reminds me very much of Nichols Cage. Its mainly how they read a joke from a script to make it work, when in reality - to me - it just falls flat. Arnold and Sly can do it, Bruce can't, imo.

And, the reason I picked Arnold over Sly is because Arnold just has the natural factor. He can be funny, serious and make all his roles believable. Even in Jingle All the Way. Sly also slips away sometimes when speaking and the audience is thinking he is having a brain aneurysm when in reality he's just slurring his words.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
The thing that you guys seem to be forgetting here is that were not talking about who's the best actor of the three, he asked who was your favorite from the three. It doesn't matter if Willis range as an actor is more than Stallone and Arnold. Your decision should solely based on who you find more entertaining, nothing more and nothing less.
I think it's because the OP asked to discuss your favorite but his poll says "who is the better actor" (or something like that), thus the confusion.

Anyway, mine is the same. My fave among the three is someone who I think is also the best actor among them: Bruce Willis. I've been watching him when he was still on TV, Moonlighting...and he still has hair. I think his movies also give him more opportunity to show his acting skills and not just be a muscle guy. Arnie is also ok and I enjoy a lot of his movies but sometimes I think he doesn't even have to act in some comedy films and he just looks funny because he is Arnie. As for Sylvester, I don't like the way he talks and this distracts me from really appreciating his lines or acting.

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
This immediately made me think of this Cracked article about who was the most bad-ass action movie character, Rambo, John McClaine, or the Terminator.

Action Hero Showdown: Who's The Biggest Bad Ass to Ever Appear on Film? | Cracked.com

Anyway, my personal vote goes to Bruce Willis. Die Hard is one of my favorite movies, and on the whole he just has more movies that I really enjoyed. Not only is he great at being a bad-ass but I think he's great at comedic roles as well, which is something that can't be said for the other two. I'm not taking anything away from the other guys. Predator and T-2 were both great, and Rock won the Cold War with boxing! But I still personally am giving it to Bruce.